American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to lhbs today and got the ingredients to brew a 5 gallon all grain batch on Sunday. Trying to find actual zombie dust to do a side by side comparison. Does anyone know where to find it in the Chicago suburbs? I'm in the Geneva/St. Charles area.

There's only 2-3 places within the city that sell it. Should come up in a search.
I still have 5 left from my previous trip to 3F's. I compared and still not sure if it's just my pride telling my brain that the homebrew tastes better.

Thanx everyone!

Not gonna drive 2 the city to try 1 beer. but my family renunion is coming up and it's pretty close to 3 Floyds. I'll go there before the family reunion and pick some up.

Attempting this today, my local homebrew store only had Citra (13.9%). Should I adjust the amount of hops or should I just follow the recipe?

You could go either way with probably similar results. Im my opinion, though, the oils are more the player in this beer than the acid so I'd stick with the recipe. May be a tad more bitter but you'll keep the flavor and aroma levels.

smokinj said:
You could go either way with probably similar results. Im my opinion, though, the oils are more the player in this beer than the acid so I'd stick with the recipe. May be a tad more bitter but you'll keep the flavor and aroma levels.

Thanks for the response, went ahead and just followed the recipe.

This definitely just jumped to the top of my to brew list. I'll probably try the partial mash recipe in the next month or two. I just wish I could get my hands on some of the real deal in the Atlanta area.

Just bottled this tonight and it was tasting great. I've had the 'real deal' and this is definitely close. Hoping to do a side-by-side once my bottles carb up.

OG was 1.060 (ran out of DME when i 'topping off' :)
FG was 1.012 (finished a little lower, mashed a bit lower, so expected this)

Overall, great recipe. Thanks Skeezer!!!

ajohnson153 said:
This definitely just jumped to the top of my to brew list. I'll probably try the partial mash recipe in the next month or two. I just wish I could get my hands on some of the real deal in the Atlanta area.

Where are you at in Atlanta area? I know where there is some.

Where could this be found around Atlanta? Mine is 2 weeks in the bottles going to wait 1 more week. Never had ta
sted this beer. Would like to compare. Still have 6 pack of alpha king left from last Indy visit but no ZD

skeezerpleezer said:
In my fridge.

Hey no bragging unless you brought enough to share with the rest of the class! I'm thinking if anywhere is gonna have it probably Hop City would be it. It's a bit of a hike for beer but I really want to try the real deal to make sure I like it before I brew it.

Jimmyjoe said:
Where could this be found around Atlanta? Mine is 2 weeks in the bottles going to wait 1 more week. Never had ta
sted this beer. Would like to compare. Still have 6 pack of alpha king left from last Indy visit but no ZD

How long is everyone waiting to bottle condition? Three weeks like above seems a little long (to me). That, or I'm just impatient here.

Just took a gravity reading a few days before bottling. It's at 1.023, which is just shy of the mark so it's coming in a hair under 6% ABV, but I don't really care because it tastes amazing. The smell smacks you in the face, and it tastes like a floral lemon bomb. Can't wait for this to be carbed and chilled!

Riseabovebb said:
How long is everyone waiting to bottle condition? Three weeks like above seems a little long (to me). That, or I'm just impatient here.

That is just what I normally wait when I bottle condition. 3 weeks minimum sometimes 4 weeks.

Just switched to an airlock and it smells awesome! My original gravity was a little low @ 1.056. But should still turn out great!

I'm on the hunt for some of this myself. If I find any I'll be happy to let you know where I found it. I might call up Hop City. They might be able to find some.

ajohnson153 said:
I'm on the hunt for some of this myself. If I find any I'll be happy to let you know where I found it. I might call up Hop City. They might be able to find some.

You will not find it in Atlanta. They do a very small distribution of their beers Chicago area and Indiana mostly That is why I asked where earlier.

I have a few in my fridge, and will share. And have a hook up for more when I need it. I am in Roswell (NW, by Woodstock/Alpharetta), if in the area hit me up and we can share some beers.

Hop city isn't gonna have it, but I bet their employees might have some they won't share with non-friends.

This is going to be my second brew, just ordered everything for an extract. Can't wait to try it, getting ZD in PA is impossible and the hype has my mouth watering. For anyone on the hunt for Citra, Midwest has it in stock and is getting more tomorrow.

Just took a hydrometer reading for the batch I brewed last Saturday, came in at what looked like 1.019. I'm going to give it a couple more days in the primary and then transfer to the secondary and dry hop.

What temperature have you guys been keeping your secondary at, 65 or closer to room temperature?

mcotter said:
Just took a hydrometer reading for the batch I brewed last Saturday, came in at what looked like 1.019. I'm going to give it a couple more days in the primary and then transfer to the secondary and dry hop.

What temperature have you guys been keeping your secondary at, 65 or closer to room temperature?

I could be ignorant but I don't think your secondary temp really matters. I mean don't leave it out in the sun or anything but watever your house temp is.

Just opened my Zombie Dust. Been 3 weeks in bottles and did not want to wait anymore. All I can say is OMG this is good. Citrus and grapefruit aroma and a great taste. But definitely a IPA

Tried to pick up a case of the real deal Saturday from 3F on my way out to rhode island. Missed the last case by less than 5 people. Got the last 6pack and will try and stop in next Monday on way back to chicago

Transferred over to the secondary and dry hopped. It's going to be a long 5 weeks or so waiting for this to be ready to drink.

Looks like I'll be buying a secondary to do this one. One question though. I do a kind of hybrid BIAB partial mash. I have a cooler that I have not yet converted to a mash tun so I just use a grain bag instead. I want to do as close to all grain as I can. Any tips on tweaking the grain bill to get the most out of my setup. I'm still pretty new to brewing (this will be my third brew and second partial mash.) So any pointers would be appreciated.

Change your efficiency on the recipe to 60 or 65 and then adjust grains to get the same OG as a 70 or 75% efficiency.

That should help if you're worried about missing the gravity mark.

I shared a growler of this ZD clone at a tasting on Saturday and EVERYONE really enjoyed it. The growler/bottles were filled on 8/8 and I think after 2.5 weeks of conditioning, the beer is really approaching it's peak right now. Unfortunately, I only have 5 bottles left! Time to re-brew!

If I upped the FWH addition from .75oz to a full oz would it be too much? I don't have a scale to weigh hops. I can get one if need be I was just wondering how necessary it is.

ajohnson153 said:
If I upped the FWH addition from .75oz to a full oz would it be too much? I don't have a scale to weigh hops. I can get one if need be I was just wondering how necessary it is.

I'll let you know in about 3 weeks haha, I did the same thing when I brewed my batch. Just bottled it on Saturday.

mcotter said:
I'll let you know in about 3 weeks haha, I did the same thing when I brewed my batch. Just bottled it on Saturday.

I'm also thinking about doing something funky with this brew. Cigar city uses Spanish cedar for their humidor series brews. I was thinking of maybe doing that with this brew.

Back