I want piney hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gats

Reaction score
What are the piniest hops? I want piney hops for aroma. I like citrusy flavor hops but I want the aroma to be like sap from a christmass tree. What say you?

Simcoe and Chinook work well. I've only used Columbus for bittering so I can't comment on their aroma.

I really enjoy the columbus aroma when paired with something to even it a bit. I usually look to cascade or centennial, recently brewed an amber with a cascade/columbus late hop addition that I was really pleased with at bottling, the columbus pine character came through but had a nice complement.

I recently used columbus to dry hop a Rye IPA. Mine didn't smell much like pine and to be honest it kinda smelled like cannabis.

Columbus is more dank and earthy than piney but it can enhance piney hops when it's paried with them. Chinook, Simcoe, Northern Brewer, Super Alpha and Southern Cross are the most piney hops that I know.

SN and DFH created Life & Limb. They actually use two different types of tree sap to get a unique flavor (birch and maple I believe). This might be another way you can explore that aroma and taste

Thanks guys! I think I'll go with a chinook/simcoe combo with something citrusy for balance. My last brew (now conditioning) had a lot of simcoe so I'll see how that one comes out first.
I like the tree sap idea too. I might give that a shot sometime as we've got no shortage of pine trees here in Maine.

Back