ferm temp control test update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesvdustin

Reaction score
So its been one week so far in my first temperature controlled fermentation. The yeast took about 16 hours to show signs of life, and then by 24 hours I started to get a krausen. At one week, I still have a nice thick krausen on top, which is defintely unlike my room temp fermentations. Usually the krausen lasted three days then dropped. I have had issue with off flavors and sweetness I think was due too fermenting way too hot. I am hoping this beer tastes many times better than anything I have made before. If it is a good one, Swmbo is going to let me convert to electric and fill all my fermenters up with back to back brew sessions. I will update next week when I take the first gravity reading.

BTW, its s-05 yeast fermenting at 60-64 degrees in a water bath.

You should notice a definite increase in quality when using temperature control. If you can swing it, a refrigerator or chest freezer with temperature controller will offer you much better temperature control especially in the summer months.

I have my keezer, its the 7 cuft Kenmore or GE, I dont remember which. It fits 4 ball locks on the floor, so I think I can jam two fermenters in there for controlled fermentation. I use 6 gallon better bottles. I actually could probably fit three. It would be hard to have something on tap and pipeline, but I could do three batches and then refill my kegs that way, just alternate. I don't think a dedicated freezer is in the cards right now.

Back