Gravity issues weighing me down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craiginho

Reaction score
I got some old malt extract from a friend and brewed a hazelnut brown two weeks ago. After pitching the yeast it fermented slowly for a few days and then quit. Gravity now reads 1.120 (don't have an OG b/ca my hydrom. was broken, but the recipe says the target OG is 1.052). Is there any way to kickstart it again? It's at about 68 degrees currently.

Sounds like you made a BIG beer and conditions have to be near perfect for those to not get stuck. Just offhand

1. how was your oxygenation?
2. what type yeast did you use and how big was your starter?
3. how big was the batch and what was the overall recipe?

I have the same issue. I had a gingerbread ale that I did. It was a nutbrown base. I added 2lbs of malt extra which brought me to an OG of 1.072. My FG is 1.024. I had even repitched to get it going again and nothing worked. Some guys suggested that I should have added more nutrients before repitching because of the high alcohol environment.

Food for thought.

Also. Don't repitch with the same yeast strain. If you used an english yeast go with something different.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Are you reading your hydrometer correctly?

If your target OG should be 1.052 and it fermented a few days are you sure the reading you are getting is not 1.012?

What was the recipe? 1.120 after a few days is a huge beer.

Semantics. He miss typed obviously.

If your OG was ~1.052 and your current reading is 1.012 that looks like a pretty normal apparent attenuation. If this is the case, the beer is done fermenting and eveything is fine.

Yeah, sorry. Was distracted by a crying baby during original post. The current reading is 1.012. Yeast was Wyeast 1764 Pacman Ale. It was a 5 gallon batch with about 6 lbs. of extract. Maybe it's ok. It just tasted really sweet when I took the reading. Maybe it'll be better once it has some carbonation.

Well that could be because you didn't have enough hops. But 1.012 is a good FG. See im stuck at 1.024

Back