Barleywine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

Reaction score
Here's my recipe - 1 Gallon Final Vol.

3# Marris Otter
.5# Crystal 140
.5# Rye
1# Honey
.25# Molasses
.25oz fuggles - 60min
.25oz fuggles - 15 min

My first question is what kind of yeast should I use? I was thinking a mixture of WL 005 Brit. Ale and Champagne yeast. How does that sound? Do I add them both at the beginning of fermentation? I also have Nottingham and Safale US-05 on hand.

I'm already mashing so any response would be appreciated!!!!

Also, I'd like to hear any comments on my recipe

I would use just the british yeast myself.

As for the recipe. It seems like a lot of honey and molasses for such a small batch.

I would use Pacman (Wyeast 17647) at a lower temp 63F and let it sit for a couple months before transferring to bottles or secondary. I have a batch in secondary that will be a year old next month and the angel's share (my wife and my tastings) have been quite clean. Pacman will eat as much sugar as your barleywine will give up, so you can add some carastan or other specialty malt (your selection seems interesting and more American (in a good way)) to add complexity.

Be interesting to know where your OG turned out. I think you'll have a great deal of trouble fermenting this batch.

well, I used WL 005 to start and plan on using champagne to finish. I cold crashed because I plan to rack to secondary for the next dose of yeast and something strange happened, or at least I think it was strange. The beer separated into two distinct layers. a bottom thick very sweet and a top thin watery layer. I didn't take readings of either since this in only a 1 gal batch I couldn't afford to lose that much of my volume. I racked about 12 hours ago and now that the beer is back up to about 70 degrees or so it seems to have homogenized again. Is this sort of separation normal??

Why would you plan on using champagne yeast to finish? Just about any ale yeast should be able to ferment out a BW to completion.

well, I used WL 005 to start and plan on using champagne to finish. I cold crashed because I plan to rack to secondary for the next dose of yeast and something strange happened, or at least I think it was strange. The beer separated into two distinct layers. a bottom thick very sweet and a top thin watery layer. I didn't take readings of either since this in only a 1 gal batch I couldn't afford to lose that much of my volume. I racked about 12 hours ago and now that the beer is back up to about 70 degrees or so it seems to have homogenized again. Is this sort of separation normal??

How long was it in the primary? I've never made Barleywine, but would guess it takes longer than a couple of days to attenuate.

Why would you plan on using champagne yeast to finish? Just about any ale yeast should be able to ferment out a BW to completion.
Agreed. I recently brewed a barleywine with an OG of 1.102. I fermented with Wyeast 1332 NW Ale (used a large starter according to Mr Malty) and it finished at 1.025. That's right around 75% attenuation. I think champagne yeast would have been unnecessary and perhaps detracted from the finished product.

well its been about 6 weeks since I pitched the champagne yeast and its still bubbling. Should I just let it keep going? Rack it? What do you say? I decided to use the 1118 to because I thought the British ale yeast would not be able to handle the alcohol. maybe I was wring about this, I don't have a lot of experience with barley wine. Does any one have any thoughts on that strange separation I noticed when I cold crashed it all those weeks ago??

Latest posts

Back