Imperial Chocolate Stout help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of a pretty big american stout that I added cocoa powder to the last 5 min. of the boil. It's been in the fermenter for a little over a month, It is a little over the top with bitterness from the cocoa.

Recipe;
Amount Item Type
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain
1.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain

Boil Amount Item Type
60 min 0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.30 %] (60 min) Hops
20 min 2.00 oz Centennial [9.90 %] (20 min) Hops
5 min 2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.30 %] (5 min) Hops

Amount Item Type - Added last 5 min. of Boil
1.00 lb Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM) Sugar
1.00 lb Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar
1.00 lb Cocoa Powder

I am thinking I could;
1. Leave it alone, keg, carbonate and let age a little. Or
2. Transfer into secondary with some Vanilla bean and brown sugar?

Any suggestions???

Eastside

I did a Chocolate Espresso Stout that called for 8 ounces of powdered cocoa. The espresso part was the dominate flavor when I kegged it three months ago, but now the espresso is smoothing out, and it's a very nice beer. I'm thinking that I would let it age for a month or so and then, if necessary, hit it with some vanilla beans.
It's pretty amazing how the flavors move around over time. Good Luck...

Most of my imperial chocolate stouts (starting anywhere between 1.085 and 1.100) take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to condition before I think they're really 'ready'. Give it time.

Most of my imperial chocolate stouts (starting anywhere between 1.085 and 1.100) take anywhere from 3 to 6 months to condition before I think they're really 'ready'. Give it time.

This. The one I'm drinking now was brewed in February. It's just now coming around.

Back