Miller Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking around, online and such, on information about Miller Light. I read on a bar plaque once that they don't use additives or preservatives in their beer, but the plaque was a little old looking. I want to assume that they still don't but I think they might now. Any of you guys know or care?

Don't know, don't much care either - but it does bring to mind a peeve of mine about the exception to the labelling laws that brewers (and vintners and distillers) in the USA enjoy. Any other consumable has a requirement to precisely label what is in it, and the nutritional value of everything. Beer, wine and liquor contain no such labels. So I don't know how you can check the accuracy of such claims.

SteveM said:
Don't know, don't much care either - but it does bring to mind a peeve of mine about the exception to the labelling laws that brewers (and vintners and distillers) in the USA enjoy. Any other consumable has a requirement to precisely label what is in it, and the nutritional value of everything. Beer, wine and liquor contain no such labels. So I don't know how you can check the accuracy of such claims.

You can thank the division of government agencies for that. Anything that goes through the FDA has to have the label. Alcoholic beverages go through the Bureau of AT&F, and don't get labels.

-walker

The ATF is so much fun. Ever call them and say "So I smoke Lucky Strikes, and I'm goin' target shootin' today with my .357. In your professional opinion, which goes better with that combo, Jack Daniels or Budweiser?"

Words cannot express how much I appreciate that this is a troll-free forum.

It sounds to me that someone good with words selectively came up with that sentence soley for the purpose of making the beer sound as wonderful as possible.

No preservatives..I should hope so with a liquid that undergoes fermentation...that doesn't even make any sense, of course there are no preservatives.

Who knows what would happen if the people figured out how to brew their own beer! Soon we'd have other sins like dancing and wearing white shoes after labor day! The horror!

This has always been a huge pet peeve for me. The government puts labels on everything else that goes into your body, but not alcohol. I'd love to be the senator that collects the bribes from Anhueser-Busch, Coors-Molson etc!

I agree, if it affects my body in anyway I want to know what is in it! However, to go back to my original discussion, if i'm in a bar and I have 10 bucks to get a buzz with I'm going with Miller, not bud. Who cares if their making things up; down with preservatives and additives, up with actual hop-aroma and flavor!

(please keep in mind that this was posted late on a Saturday night...)

Back