The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Is it better than Coors Light?"

I also got the "This is really hoppy" from my brother when he tried my first extract batch of red ale. Which had pretty much zero hop aroma or flavor.

"No man, the last time I had someone's homebrew I ended up in the hospital."

I kid you not.

What, were you so overcome by the taste of REAL beer that in an excited gasp you inhaled the beer and started choking? WTF!?

Uuuuuuugh I have gotten pretty much every single one of these frickin comments! It's soooo irritating! Although, my Slumpbuster Porter was a big hit at parties. People asked me "You MADE this yourself?" in awe, rather than in disgust.

EvilTOJ said:
Uuuuuuugh I have gotten pretty much every single one of these frickin comments! It's soooo irritating! Although, my Slumpbuster Porter was a big hit at parties. People asked me "You MADE this yourself?" in awe, rather than in disgust.

You know, unless you make it or sell it, just about just about every American is ignorant to beer & beer making. The exception is if they have lived abroad or had a strong preference for imports. Maybe couple other instances like being close friends w/ a brewer.

It comes w/ the territory. Don't place much stock in ignorance or the unenlighted palate.

Getting an opinions about a IPA from a BMC Drinker is like asking for directions from somebody who's obviously from out of town. Take it w/ a grain of salt. It doesn't mean much.

:mug:

My favorite was not a verbal comment. I gave my wife's cousin a mug. he asked if it was strong. then he gulps it down like it was water and hands the mug to me as if it was nothin' for a macho guy like him. it was the last one he got!

Arneba28 said:
Best Comment Ever...from my roommates girlfriend
While Brewing IPA she says "It smells like Body odor in here"
Me: your crazy
her:.it doesnt smell right
Me: You dont know what your talking about

After adding the total 6 ounces of hops
Her: "It smells like feet in here, its disgusting"
Me: "you have the most f*ed up orfactory senses known to man"

Dude, don't put your feet in the wort - it's NOT GOOD for the beer.

Next time, piss in a bottle and cap it of and put in the fridge just for her. Put a Scudweiser label on it too

My friend sipped my alt, swished it around in his mouth a bit, and after a few moments of deep thought said "Hmm, tastes like beer."

My old roomate wasn't much of a beer drinker, but would always humor me by at least trying a sip of all my homebrews. After passing on countless light accessible styles, the one he finally liked was a dark Belgian strong ale. Go figure.

On trying the same dark Belgian strong, my dad winced at the high abv and asked if I was an alcoholic.

kaptain_karma said:
On trying the same dark Belgian strong, my dad winced at the high abv and asked if I was an alcoholic.

I had a similar experience with my MIL. She is a junk collector. Does a lot of garage sale-ing, and picks up odds and ends and stores the stuff in a two car garage. The garage is packed w/ junk. I was asked to move a dresser out of there and low & behold I see a glass 5 gal Alpine Water Bottle!!

I asked her what she was going to do with it, she says,

"Nothing, why do you want it?"

I'm like, "Yes!!"

She says "Tell me what you want it for first."

I say,"Beer making."

She goes on to tell tell me she doesn't know what was in it before and that I might get poisioned. I tell he that I will clean it first. That was OK with her. Now this bottle is on a decanting craddle hinged and all. It has a screw on cap to boot. Its pretty nice score for $0.00

2 hours later.....

She comes in to the house and tells me, "I don't think you really need it."

I'm like, "What???"

She goes, "Once you open it you'll have to drink all of that beer or it will go flat!!!! You know I don't think you need to drink that much!!"

I'm busting up on the floor laughing. I explain that it will be a fermentation vessel and that I promised not to drink out of it." Come to think of it that would a 645oz beer!

This total redefines the meaning, "I'm only gonna have one!!" :D

Well this wasn't a comment on my beer but I just had to quote this chick in this restaurant/bar we go to.

While drinking a pilsner urqell at the end of the night: "I like real pilsner better."

Me walking by and had to say: "Uh, that IS a real pilsner. It's actually thought to be the FIRST pilsner and has been around for almost 200 years."

Her: "Well, they sure improved it a lot since then." (meaning Budweiser as the "improvement").

Makes me laugh, I told my significant other about Diacetyl and had her taste a lager after it was done fermenting. She said it tasted good and she couldnt taste any butterscotch, etc.

Now anytime she tastes any of my other beers, lagers or ales, if she doesnt like it she says "eww, tastes like butterscotch!". Cracks me up everytime. :)

I have a friend that picked up a bag of crystal 120, so this is hops? (I love him to death) but he thinks all the beer I brew darker than BMC taste like bark.

Tonight I was bagging someone's groceries, and they had 2 six packs of Blue Moon. I grabbed the first one and through it in a bag hap hazardously, like I would with BMC. Then I realized what I was doing and gently placed the second one in the bag, making sure not to disturb the sediment.

Wanting to start a conversation about non BMC beer, I was about to make a point of telling the guy that I was trying to not stir up his sediment, when I realized that it was just a wheat ale, not a bottle conditioned ale.

I'm glad I caught myself before saying anything, or it would have been embarrassing, if he know anything about beer.

Last night a friend said that he didn't like our new stout because "it is too stouty". Strange, since I though the beer came out with less flavor than I would have liked.

I've heard 'tastes like Amber Bock' used to describe several of my beers...and then yes, everything with any flavor is 'really hoppy'

I try to avoid the aggravation altogether by rarely offering up my own brews unless I really think it will be enjoyed. Just a week or two ago a friend told me that Coors Light was the only thing that tasted good lately(usually his poison is Bud Light....there's a difference?). I had one and wondered how he thought that taste was involved with Coors...because I couldn't find any taste in that can at all.

Another mutual acquaintance, however, is on the road to redemption because he just recently tried brewing his own. It's not bottled yet, but that's a person I'd offer a HB to.

My folks like their Heineken, so my ales don't really go over that well.

Most friends have generally had good things to say but they also have good taste in beer ;)

However, the funniest thing a friend ever said was after she took a drink of my house Brown Ale and someone made her laugh so hard she had beer come out of her nose... as soon as she could breath again, she said "That was so smooth! That is the first beer that has ever gone through my nose and not burned! This beer is good."

PNWgirl said:
Most friends have generally had good things to say but they also have good taste in beer ;)

However, the funniest thing a friend ever said was after she took a drink of my house Brown Ale and someone made her laugh so hard she had beer come out of her nose... as soon as she could breath again, she said "That was so smooth! That is the first beer that has ever gone through my nose and not burned! This beer is good."

hahahha, thats classic! i bet a double IPA would knock the crap out of your nose if it went through!

PNWgirl said:

lol i was drinking a bigfoot barleywine (prefer old foghorn) and was smelling the head, i lifted the glass a bit too close and sniffed foam right into my nose and asophagus..... Wasn't too bad if you like the feeling of drowning lol....

I think the most common thing is.... It's too dark(like color changes taste).... give them a porter.... it's too stout.... got the same comment from a barley wine.... was told that Lion's Stout was too hoppy....

It's really hard to listen to that and not be a beer snob, which of course gets jeers... None the less i continue to let everyone taste, i WILL slowly convert them

I was told my irish red at some point was fruity.... i labored so that it would have no fruity esters, and it didn't.... I say you mean caramel, bready, toasty, kind of malty sweet taste.... No, i taste more hops than anything..... Ugh what?

I had a friend taste BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde and he said it was way too hoppy and bitter (there were 2 oz of hops in a 10 gal batch!).

Then he tried Ed's Haus Pale ale and he said that he hates IPAs (I was surprised he knew what an IPA was...well, atleast he knew the initials). I don't think that recipe with 32 IBU is anywhere close to an IPA.

Oh well, leaves more for me to drink.

Revvy said:
That seems to be the most common comment from the bmc set....

I've been tempted to brew a swartzbier just to have friends who say that try it...

I know. My brother and a few people I know are like that. I could probably serve them the wort from an unhopped ale that is made entirely of caramel malts and the would cringe and say, ooh to bitter.

People think all dark beers are 90 roast malt with craploads of bittering hops. :rolleyes:

Makes me wish we would go back to the days of serving beer in opaque mugs made of ceramic or Pewter. Hell, I think I'm going to buy some cheap tin cups for that crowd from now on. I'll attach some cheap tin lids and call them "bier stiens". haha :mug:

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of people (that don't know anything about beer) think that beer is made with hops and only hops as if you make a tea out of hops and then add some vodka or some !@#$. I can understand if you don't drink beer but wouldn't you think if you where a beer drinker you would at least want to know what you are consuming?

drunkatuw said:
I had a friend taste BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde and he said it was way too hoppy and bitter (there were 2 oz of hops in a 10 gal batch!).

Then he tried Ed's Haus Pale ale and he said that he hates IPAs (I was surprised he knew what an IPA was...well, atleast he knew the initials). I don't think that recipe with 32 IBU is anywhere close to an IPA.

Oh well, leaves more for me to drink.
You need to brew him (her) up a SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde.

And save those precious hops for your own self.

Yesterday as I drug my brew rig out and my brew fridge... my neighbor came out and she asked me "are you brewing METH yet? tee he he" Naw, not BREWING METH just yet... just cleaning up! What the hell.

My inlaws said my beer "tasted European".

Which I guess is a compliment ......

Here's one from the other side.

A fellow grad student gave me a mason jar full of "wine". Holding the jar up in front of my face I asked "what sort of wine is this?" She replied in no uncertain terms "red".

I later tasted it on a dare from my brewing friend. Tasted like unsweetened red KoolAid disolved in isopropyl:cross:

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
I know. My brother and a few people I know are like that. I could probably serve them the wort from an unhopped ale that is made entirely of caramel malts and the would cringe and say, ooh to bitter.

People think all dark beers are 90 roast malt with craploads of bittering hops. :rolleyes:

Makes me wish we would go back to the days of serving beer in opaque mugs made of ceramic or Pewter. Hell, I think I'm going to buy some cheap tin cups for that crowd from now on. I'll attach some cheap tin lids and call them "bier stiens". haha :mug:
ya so ... go out and buy a 40 of BMC and put int a bottle, cap it and serve it up then watch there reactions... Its a hole lotta fun
JJ

Him: "hmmm this beer is thicker than I like" *turns to sink and pours a bunch of water in the beer.
Me: "Gah!"

Brother in-law all the time no matter what beer I make: should be more smooth. I like smooth!

Back