Electric hob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
So I'm brewing for the first time in my new house and it has a electric hob. It's taken me 45 mins just to get to the hot break!!

Any tips on improving this?

You seem to be speaking English English, but I’ll take a run at it. I assume you mean that it takes 45 min to go from mash to boil.

I use two 3 gallon pots on two separate elements on my stove top. I can go from room temperature to boiling in 40 min on the small burner, and 30 on the bigger one.

Haha you would be right. I'm from England. Yes it took 45 mins from mash to boil. It was a long night of brewing.

So if you split the pots you just half your hop editions for each pot?

Another option is to insulate your kettle(s).
IMHO though, I would say that the only real option is to quit brewing on the stovetop! ;)

emjay said:
Another option is to insulate your kettle(s).
IMHO though, I would say that the only real option is to quit brewing on the stovetop! ;)

Hmm just what I was thinking whilst brewing. But outside brewing is hard as it rains a lot here in England. Maybe a electric kettle?

lewishowardm3 said:
Hmm just what I was thinking whilst brewing. But outside brewing is hard as it rains a lot here in England. Maybe a electric kettle?

It ain't easy in Canada either! But yes, going electric is exactly what I did. Cheaper to operate, more comfortable, quicker, and easier... it's the best of all worlds, really. Aside from the initial set up costs, I guess.

swallow you pride, go to lidl and get a ~2000 watt 30 L electric kettle, they are sometimes on sale really cheap, i know people who have come home with one for under 100 of your queenie's pounds! adjustable dial which you can calibrate (using a proper thermometer) for mash temps as well, spigot on the bottom for runoff/knockout, heats to a rolling boil, not a bad way to brew if you are space limited

I was just looking at these electric brewing kettles, the cheaper ones look ok but do they last? I don't really need one with a thermostat as it would only be used to boil my wort. Any good places to buy one? I looked at Lidl and couldn't find anything.
Cheers

I don’t expect 2000W would be enough. I imagine your hob is going to have roughly the same output as my stove. My small burner is 1800W and the bigger one is 2400W.

Oh, and yes about the hops. I do two half batches that end up in the same carboy.

I learned a little English growing up, my best friend’s mother was English. In Texas, I know one Englishman and one Irishman. We do keep them apart.

Latest posts

Back