The Cat Pee Vanished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterTipsy

Reaction score
I used Citra at 60/20/10 in a boozy wheat beer.

A cat pee smell was noticeable before bottling. I tasted a carbed bottle after 10 days and the cat pee was still there.

After three weeks in the bottle, the cat pee was gone completely and what remained was a pleasure to drink.

What other hops produce the cat pee odor?

070925-kitty.jpg

I've never gotten a cat urine smell from Citra before... sometime I get it with Simcoe, but those are few and far between,

I'm glad the cat pee is gone. I'm not a fan of cat pee. I was worried the batch was going to be not so good.

It turned out great. Time to get drunk!

:mug:

I used citra at 60 and 10 myself, I got cat crap smell. Im not sure if it has gone away or not yet only bottled for 7 days. Aroma was like cat crap, but taste was good. I hope all is well with my brew!

I had this same thing happen to me this week. Had a beer dryhopped with citra, cat piss bad. Bottled it off the keg and 1.5 months later 0 cat piss, a ton of sweet fruit.

I get catpee from Summit but as your Citra, it gets better with age.

It took about six weeks after brewing for the cat pee to vanish. No dry hop.

The end result was tropical fruity and 55ibu.

Ugh, note to self, never use citra! I hate the smell of cat pee, makes me gag and I don't want to be gagging when I drink a beer!

Ugh, note to self, never use citra! I hate the smell of cat pee, makes me gag and I don't want to be gagging when I drink a beer!

It disappears completely in a reasonable amount of time. Avoid drinking a green Citra beer, but don't avoid using Citra. It makes some nice tropical fruit flavors with post 20 minute additions. You don't have to use a lot to get a lot of flavor.

I've heard there are certain people who are repulsed by actual cat pee, but not all. I'm assuming the same is true for certain hops? Simcoe is known for producing a cat pee essence, but I have never noticed it... and I use it all the time. I also am not totally repulsed by the smell of real cat piss, if that means anything.

BTW- I hate cats.

I used citra at 60 and 10 myself, I got cat crap smell. Im not sure if it has gone away or not yet only bottled for 7 days. Aroma was like cat crap, but taste was good. I hope all is well with my brew!

Ah so, it's really cat crap I smelled, eh? I don't have a cat, but I've smelled a few litter boxes. Not sure why I assumed it was cat pee instead of poo.

Now my thread title is inaccurate. :drunk:

I've got an IPA that I just kegged. It has STRONG cat piss. I used amarillo for late hops and lots of dry hopping, so I'm sure that's what caused it.

I've made this exact recipe before with chinnook, so I know it's the amarillo. BTW, the amarillo was fresh, right out of the 1# vacuum-sealed bag from hops direct.

I had cat piss once before in a beer made with simcoe and amarillo. At the time I thought it was the simcoe.

I sure hope it does go away. I'll give it a few weeks in the kegs, but it it's still there its going on the grass.

boy am I glad to read this. It seems like every thread i find, citra has been associated with cat piss smell! Anyway, after 1 week in primary i took a gravity reading and a taste test and the cat pee smell was prominent, but also some wet dog! But it tastes really great. It's a red.

good to hear to turned out great for you. hoping mine does as well. i went with 0.5 oz @ 60, 0.5@12 and 1.0@3

I've got an IPA that I just kegged. It has STRONG cat piss. I used amarillo for late hops and lots of dry hopping, so I'm sure that's what caused it.

I've made this exact recipe before with chinnook, so I know it's the amarillo. BTW, the amarillo was fresh, right out of the 1# vacuum-sealed bag from hops direct.

I had cat piss once before in a beer made with simcoe and amarillo. At the time I thought it was the simcoe.

I sure hope it does go away. I'll give it a few weeks in the kegs, but it it's still there its going on the grass.

we have done three APAs with all gumball head as the hops and never had any issues with cat piss. i've heard of it with simcoe and citra but never with Amarillo. :confused:

we have done three APAs with all gumball head as the hops and never had any issues with cat piss. i've heard of it with simcoe and citra but never with Amarillo. :confused:

The pee has gone away, and given way to a very solid pink grapefruit aroma and flavor. I've started drinking it, so it's not as bad as it was. I think it is improving.

The pee has gone away, and given way to a very solid pink grapefruit aroma and flavor. I've started drinking it, so it's not as bad as it was. I think it is improving.

Thats good to hear! Our all-amarillo wheat pale ale is amazing - we modeled it after three floyds Gumballhead - its got so much citrus goodness! :) glad to hear its improving! :) :) :)

My next brew is an all Amarillo Amber Ale. I'll update this thread if things get catty with the next batch.

Amarillo had some mild cat pee going on, but nothing compared to Citra. It was a better smelling brand of cat pee too.

I noticed it mostly while I was cleaning up and draining the kettle. The wort was malty and didn't smell very catty.

lime-cat.jpg

Latest posts

Back