Possibility of a cider for Halloween this year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firehawk69

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings my friends and brew enthusiasts!

I have an itch to get some cider brewing and I wanted to make one that was a deep rich dark red, kind of make a vampire type drink. I was thinking blood orange to make an adult version of the Tru Blood soda made popular by the HBO show True Blood. What I need to know for sure is how much blood orange pulp to use in the batch. Please help!

Thanks!

Ever thought of using food grade dye? I think that would predictably hold the color a lot better than using blood orange. You can still use blood orange if you'd like but I'd suggest dye for a colored cider.

Red dye would certainly be the most economical method, but I personally wouldn't want food coloring in my cider. (that's just me) How about cherry or cranberry concentrates?

orange in cider? bleh, doesn't sound very appealing... cherry, cranberry, raspberry, black currant, blackberry, kitten blood, etc., sure but orange? not for me

I never thought about using food grade dyes. I will definitely keep that in mind. As far as using other fruits, Blackberry might have just jumped to the top of the list, instead of blood orange. I tried a cranberry cider before and it didnt really get any red in color at all. Thanks for the advice!

dinnerstick said:
orange in cider? bleh, doesn't sound very appealing... cherry, cranberry, raspberry, black currant, blackberry, kitten blood, etc., sure but orange? not for me

Blood orange tastes much more like raspberry than a Valencia or navel though. It's a truly unique flavor.

There is a coloring made from beets that is very blood red . I think Shmaltz brewing used it for their Halloween Freaktoberfest beer.

Blood orange tastes much more like raspberry than a Valencia or navel though. It's a truly unique flavor.

i know what you mean, i absolutely love blood oranges! top four favorite fruit, but i still don't see them working in cider, something about orange juice fermenting out to taste like prison hooch, anyways if you prove me wrong post results!

i like the beets idea, a little goes a long way

I will definitely keep the beets idea in mind and soon I will find out if the blood oranges are more than just a crazy dream cider for me. Thanks again for all the advice and brew on!

I know this is an old post but to any future brews beets add a fantastic red colour. Not sure if it holds through fermentation but when my girlfriend adds a small beet to whatever she is juicing it instantly overpowers the colour.

Latest posts

Back