Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking to build a MLT like this but have been reading that only having a central draining point, which just running the braided hose would create, will cause the grain in the middle to become overly rinsed while sparging etc that may release tannins. Which would then leave an off taste. Anyone have any experience with this?

I am having an argument with my buddy as to whether to go with the braided hose or build a manifold out of copper tubing.

FuBaR1218,
I used a longer braided hose and coiled it on my 5 gallon version. I wrapped some heavy copper wire around a screwdriver and inserted it into the braid to help it keep the coil shape and help prevent it from collapsing.

And for those of you living near a Menards and looking for stainless steel fender washers, they have them for ~$2 for a 6-pack.
-mark-

manafold.jpg
tun.jpg

has anyone ever noticed that when you look up anything like the washers online you get suggestions for everything else you need to make the MLT?

Hey guys,

You'll have to forgive me for not reading through all 213 pages, I only read through 26 and couldn't find an answer.

Is there any reason to not just use a large mesh bag (or make an even bigger one) inside the cooler, and forget about the whole braided hose thing? You could just raise the bag a bit when you drain and it should drain way quicker than through a braided supply! Cleanup would be a breeze afterwards, too.

If I'm totally off track here I apologize, I've never brewed before but this is certainly how I will doing my first batch this weekend.

Hey guys,

You'll have to forgive me for not reading through all 213 pages, I only read through 26 and couldn't find an answer.

Is there any reason to not just use a large mesh bag (or make an even bigger one) inside the cooler, and forget about the whole braided hose thing? You could just raise the bag a bit when you drain and it should drain way quicker than through a braided supply! Cleanup would be a breeze afterwards, too.

If I'm totally off track here I apologize, I've never brewed before but this is certainly how I will doing my first batch this weekend.

You should check out BIAB (brew in a bag) systems. And we don't use a bag in this system cause you wouldn't get a uniform grain bed for sparging.

Enjoy your first brew:rockin:

You should check out BIAB (brew in a bag) systems. And we don't use a bag in this system cause you wouldn't get a uniform grain bed for sparging.

Enjoy your first brew:rockin:

Ok, what if your bag was less of a bag, and more of a big sheet that you could lay flat on the bottom ? You could still have a uniform grain bed when you sparge, but when you are ready to drain you can just pull it all up! Am I making sense?

madamimadam said:
Hey guys,

It wouldn't drain any quicker IMO, my rig drains super quick. Too quick actually. And as far as cleanup, your idea sound dirtier. You'd have to dump out that grain bag and get all the grain out of the mesh, and then end up having to clean the mash tun anyway

Ok, what if your bag was less of a bag, and more of a big sheet that you could lay flat on the bottom ? You could still have a uniform grain bed when you sparge, but when you are ready to drain you can just pull it all up! Am I making sense?

I'm probably not thinking of the obvious reason why we don't do it. But believe me if it would work properly most of the guys that use to do BIAB would probably be doing something similar since they would already have part of the equipment. Even the simple straight braid isn't the best way of doing it. A false bottom or manifold would give a more uniform extract, giving you a better efficiency. If I missed something maybe one of the gurus out there might pick up on the thread and give more info. You can also check out this link http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixD.html it might answer a couple questions.

Have fun and Cheers:mug:

Just my two cents re: SS washers/spacers. Rather than spend an hour in HD looking for the right size AND SS, I grabbed a PVC coupler with an ID the same size as my SS coupler, eyeballed it up and hacked it down to size. Sanded it smooth and put it in place. Worked like a charm and it only cost me 30 cents.
Oh, and I used some rubber gasket material to replace the O-rings. No more drippy. Silicone would probably be better, but good luck finding that at HD:)

photo.JPG

Sure fire no drip bulk head. I've only been into brewing for a couple of years now and just built a 3 tier system. When I was thinking about how to make my MT I found this thread. I almost went with this until I found a SS half in. flat washer and a 2 in SS threaded nipple and had it welded for 5 bucks. The whole thing cost around 15 bucks and with the use of a O ring I've had no drips yet.

I don't understand why people care about using SS washers on the outside. Those exterior washers aren't touching any liquid at all. Just buy the regular fender washers that are super easy to find and are cheap to buy. Keep the SS for inside the MLT.

barrooze said:
I don't understand why people care about using SS washers on the outside. Those exterior washers aren't touching any liquid at all. Just buy the regular fender washers that are super easy to find and are cheap to buy. Keep the SS for inside the MLT.

I wouldn't say you need them. But personally when I'm washing things I'm not super careful to only get the inside of the cooler wet. Just means i don't have to worry about rust.

O-rings were in the plumbing section

specifically in the faucet repair section (stems, washers, cartridges). I couldn't find them at the first store i went to and when i asked where they were the guy told me that they wouldn't hold up past 50* F and never showed me where they were. I assume he was trying to say celcius but i just let it go

Thanks for the help! I used this guide to make one for a Rubbermaid rectangular cooler that I have and no leaks as of right now. Any way to tell if it's leaking in to the wall? I guess after I drain it I might be able to hear it sloshing around inside?

Just finished my version of this design. Like nearly everyone else, I could not find a stainless steel 5/8" washer. Every other type of washer (except brass) and every other size, except that one. Tried to drill out a bigger whole in a 1/2" washer, didn't work, just warped the washer. Then, my brother in law noticed that the washer doesn't really do much to increase the seal in the first place, it just makes the thing look better. The seal as designed in the OP is essentially the same as the original setup of the cooler, with the original seal being pulled against the side of the cooler and snug around the brass nipple... but the washer on the inside isn't being pulled against the side of the inside of the cooler enough to increase the integrity of the seal. Therefore we omitted the SS washer.

I've just checked after about 6 hours, and absolutely no leaks with a full tank of water. Hot water will only expand things, so don't anticipate any leaks then either.

Get a ss 2 inch nipple from ace or another harware store, a half inch ss washer from lowes and go to a welding shop. Have them drill out the washer and weld it together.

Well I just got everything I need yesterday from Home Depot... save the washers. Picked them up at a local Fastenal location on lunch today. Like many others in the thread, this was the push for me to go all grain. Really excited. Total bill came in about $80. Still quite a bit less than anything pre-assembled, prob a $50 savings. Can't wait to brew with this as soon as my 11 gallon pot gets here.

UPDATE: I couldn't get this thing to not leak so, I went and got a 5/8 rubber washer and put that on the inside of the cooler first, followed by 3 SS washers. Took 4 more SS washers outside to get everything snug. Additionally, the ball valve will not close 100% unless I turn it sideways, well practically upside down, due to the design of the cooler. It will close 99% but, I don't want to take any chances.

Ball valve.jpg

I put one of these together this weekend. Should have taken me 20 minutes but I had a tough time getting it to stop leaking. They didn't have 5/8" fender washers at the Home Depot so I got the next best thing I could find. It was fine for the outside washers, but too big for the inside washer. So I headed to another hardware store and spent $1.50 on a handful of washers of different sizes hoping one would work. Luckily one of them fit nicely and now it's a solid installation with no leaks.

The best part was walking through Home Depot collecting the parts. I was looking at stainless hoses when the guy came up and asked what it was for. I told him making beer and next thing you know we spent ten minutes talking about the process. Then I went looking for fittings and a worker came up and asked me what I was building. Again, we talked for like five minutes about making beer. Then I went to the aisle where the washers are. Another worker asked what I was building and it started another conversation about making beer. It was a lot of fun!

I put one of these together this weekend. Should have taken me 20 minutes but I had a tough time getting it to stop leaking. They didn't have 5/8" fender washers at the Home Depot so I got the next best thing I could find. It was fine for the outside washers, but too big for the inside washer. So I headed to another hardware store and spent $1.50 on a handful of washers of different sizes hoping one would work. Luckily one of them fit nicely and now it's a solid installation with no leaks.

The best part was walking through Home Depot collecting the parts. I was looking at stainless hoses when the guy came up and asked what it was for. I told him making beer and next thing you know we spent ten minutes talking about the process. Then I went looking for fittings and a worker came up and asked me what I was building. Again, we talked for like five minutes about making beer. Then I went to the aisle where the washers are. Another worker asked what I was building and it started another conversation about making beer. It was a lot of fun!

I had the same experience at HD. It's funny though, you could have been buying shoe laces and they'd still ask you what you are building. HD is great if you know what you want. Don't expect any viable help there. I stick to local hardware stores if its an option. :mug:

FINALLY got my SS 5/8" 316-grade fender washers. But it's in a pack of ten, so if anyone needs one send me a message and I'll send you one for $2 (not a profit for me).

For anyone living near a Menard's. they have a 5 gallon RubberMaid beverage cooler for $20 with a $10 rebate. I know that this is not the size given in this thread but for people who have limited space it might be usefull.

I made my tun, but instead of three SS washers on the outside, it took seven for me (maybe dimensions for some of the equipment varied, but I used everything listed).

That did not really matter, because I got a good seal on it, and the tun worked great. I made my first batch of full mash and it turned out fantastic. Now all I need it to make a good sparge arm, and I will be set. :ban:

Built another one today... Came out great, no leaks at all... Thanks for all the great info!

If anyone is having problems finding the 5/8 SS washers, I have a few left over that I will gladly ship at cost (prob $1 including shipping) and can get more from a local store if anyone needs.

I looked at the parts list and went to HD to check it out. After looking at what I would need to buy 4 of needing only one and weighing the hassle factor I ended up buying a cooler valve kit from Northern brewer.

I then got an water heater supply line some nylon nuts, bolts and washers to close the open end and a s.s. hose clamp.

I think I only spent a dollar or two more than what has been priced here. And far less hassles trying to figure out which parts were the right ones. No leaks first time fitted and none after about 10 batches.

add: My handle does not interfere with the cutout on the cooler.

Latest posts

Back