Beersmith versus Brewtarget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the better brewing software?

• Brew Target

• Beersmith (2.0)

Results are only viewable after voting.

jdlev

Reaction score
Which do you guys think is better? I saw some stuff on beersmith at my LHBC, and it looked pretty powerful and easy to use - but you can't beat the price on brewtarget! What say you?

Been using BeerSmith since my third batch. Looking forward to the upcoming version update too.

While there are people that will scream about the software they use, from either camp, I would suggest trying out both at the same time. See which one you can get up and running with easier, and is more to your liking.

Personally, I've not used any of the videos posted about using BeerSmith, figuring it out either for myself, or reading an occasional post about using a feature I hadn't used before. That was mostly when I was new to the software (within the first month, or so). Since then, I've really not needed any assistance in getting everything figured out and setup within it. I've added more malts to the database, as well as tweaked the hops to match what I have on hand (the AA% for the hops I'm using).

Fortunately, BeerSmith is available for a 21 day trial period. Simply download it, test it out and see if you want to buy it or not. IMO, you should be able to figure that out within three weeks, provided you actually put some time onto it.

I use BrewTarget because I'm on a Mac. But i love it. Pretty simple to use and it keeps getting better.

Pus the dev is a forum member here.

At JetSmooth --->
Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

A little mangled Frank Herbert? Nice!

:)

I started with a spreadsheet, moved to brewtarget, then to ibrewmaster and have landed on beersmith. Once you get over the initial hump, beersmith seems to have more power and growth room built in, and it really doesn't cost much.

Not an expert, just my two cents

My vote is for Brew-target... You can't beat the price...:mug:

I found this old post and have to recant my vote...

Although I liked Brew Target because it was free, I have to admit I have moved on to Beer Smith.
It is defiantly the program if you are going to pay for software. It has way more tools and now Cloud and Mobile capabilities. I hadn’t looked back since I started using it over a year ago.

Sorry for digging up an old post but I had to add my .02, it was bugging me…
Matt… :mug:

Back