fermentation pooped out early. Should I do anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engwar

Reaction score
I brewed an APA and a dry stout a week ago. One of my starters smelled funky so I split the other starter amongst both batches.

The room in my basement where I ferment is also a bit cool, about 64 degrees.

I'm thinking that due to under-pitching and the low fermentation temp are the reason my beers haven't quite fermented out to where I'd like them to be.

The stout is 1024 and the apa is at 1035. (I can't find my notes right now for the OG but I think they were around 1055 and 1070 respectively.

So should I bother trying to rouse the yeast? I could also put a space heater in the room with my fermenters to try to raise the temp of the wort a bit.

Or should I relax, not worry and accept the fact that my beer will be slightly sweeter and less alcoholic this time around? After a week and with hardly any bubbles is it worth it trying to rouse that yeast?

I had the same issue with fermenting in my basement - moved them upstairs to a closet @ around 69deg and within 12 hours the yeasties were boogying again.

I agree rouse it and warm it up.

Don't be surprised if you have a butter bomb (diacetyl). I'm assuming the yeast was under pitched due to the fact you split a starter meant for one batch. So low pitch and low fermentation temp might mean diacetyl.

IIt may clear up by raising temp and rousing the yeast though.

Latest posts

Back