need advice on first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noddin

Reaction score
Hoping I can solicit some advise here.

So my first batch has been fermenting away in primary for 2 weeks now. It’s just a simple pale ale and went in with a gravity reading of 1.049. I didn’t notice a ton of bubbling out of the airlock but after reading many threads here decided that wasn’t a concern. Fermenter has been well within temperature range around 20 degrees Celsius. Anyway I took a gravity reading today after throwing in .5 oz of cascade for dry hop and found the beer only at 1.022 on the hydrometer – I thought it would be a bit lower than that by now. Perhaps I didn’t aerate quite enough (I went at the wort with a whisk for about 1 minute) – I used Wyeast American Ale II – and the yeast was good, package swelled up nice before I pitched – I did not make a starter however.

Anyway just wondering what to do now – is there any way to “rouse” the yeast or should I just keep it in primary for another week as per my plan and then bottle? Will it ferment down some more?

Hoping I can solicit some advise here.

So my first batch has been fermenting away in primary for 2 weeks now. It’s just a simple pale ale and went in with a gravity reading of 1.049. I didn’t notice a ton of bubbling out of the airlock but after reading many threads here decided that wasn’t a concern. Fermenter has been well within temperature range around 20 degrees Celsius. Anyway I took a gravity reading today after throwing in .5 oz of cascade for dry hop and found the beer only at 1.022 on the hydrometer – I thought it would be a bit lower than that by now. Perhaps I didn’t aerate quite enough (I went at the wort with a whisk for about 1 minute) – I used Wyeast American Ale II – and the yeast was good, package swelled up nice before I pitched – I did not make a starter however.

Anyway just wondering what to do now – is there any way to “rouse” the yeast or should I just keep it in primary for another week as per my plan and then bottle? Will it ferment down some more?

I am assuming that this was an extract batch, and extracts seem to finish a tad higher. Not sure of the tempature of your hydro sample, but 1.022 FG isn't out of the question. A yeast starter may of helped, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe put bucket in a warmer room for a few days and check the gravity. If it stays the same over 3 days, bottle it up!

I am assuming that this was an extract batch, and extracts seem to finish a tad higher. Not sure of the tempature of your hydro sample, but 1.022 FG isn't out of the question.

Bull!!!!

Extract will ferment out as well as an average temperature mash, unless you use something like Laagerlander, in which case you are screwed. I'm not sure they make it any more; that was only 55% fermentable.

Keep it warm and rouse the yeast. Obviously I have not seen the recipe, but if it is 'standard', you should get down to 1.012/1.014 or lower.

I am assuming that this was an extract batch, and extracts seem to finish a tad higher. Not sure of the tempature of your hydro sample, but 1.022 FG isn't out of the question. A yeast starter may of helped, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Maybe put bucket in a warmer room for a few days and check the gravity. If it stays the same over 3 days, bottle it up!

Yep it was an extract batch - 4lbs DME and 2lbs LME. I'll see if I can get the fermenter in a warmer room for some time. Thanks for the advise guys.

Back