lactose in stout when/how to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

Reaction score
i'm about to bottle my Chocolate cream stout.
I have 4 oz of Lactose and 5 oz of priming sugar do i just mix the lactose and priming sugar together then add to bottling buxket as if i was just using priming sugar?

yea i was thinking that but says in the instructions to "add BEFORE bottling" so i can just add this plus my priming sugar to a pint of water boil add to bucket and bottle like usual?

Hey I am a noob, only on my second batch, but I thought lactose halted fermentation. Isn't it used to stop ferming in ciders so backsweetening can take place? So if you add lactose to a batch that isnt carbed wont it just keep the beer flat?

i'm about to bottle my Chocolate cream stout.
I have 4 oz of Lactose and 5 oz of priming sugar do i just mix the lactose and priming sugar together then add to bottling buxket as if i was just using priming sugar?

I usually add lactose in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil, but it should be fine to boil with priming sugar at bottling time. Chocolate cream stout...sounds good!

Hey I am a noob, only on my second batch, but I thought lactose halted fermentation. Isn't it used to stop ferming in ciders so backsweetening can take place? So if you add lactose to a batch that isnt carbed wont it just keep the beer flat?

Lactose is milk sugar and is not fermentable. It's also only about 20% compared to Sucrose (table sugar).

I think you may have confused your compounds and the lactose may be used for the backsweetening. Usually it is Campden that halts fermentation in ciders or wines.

finished bottling everything went smooth holy yeast cake was up to the one gallon mark in my fermenter. ended up with 22 bombers plus a 16 oz sample for me. tasted awesome, just a bit over 8%. damn powdered chocolate sat on top of fermenter had to rack with a nylon stocking.

I also made a choc sweet stout recently. Added the lactose last 10 mins of boil and added my cocoa powder in the secondary and racked on top of it. Most of my powder settled to the bottom, but I still used a nylon bag to screen all the junk when I went to my bottling bucket. Mine tasted pretty darn good after just 3 weeks. I'm going to have to make this again soon though as it is quite popular.

4oz. of lactose seems low to me but if it works for the recipe i guess its ok. for my sweet stout i added a full pound of lactose during the boil. a pound of lactose in 5 gallons of wort gives you 7 points of unfermentable sugar. so the 0.25 pounds should give you 1.75 points of unfermentable sugar. the beer wont be that sweet but it should be ok. only your taste buds can tell.

i wasnt looking for a really sweet stout. here is the recipe if anyone is interested. it taste absolutely amazing. i can drink it as is right now. it primaried for 4 weeks at 58-60f.

extract with steeping grains

Grains
5 oz Chocolate Malt
5 oz Christal 120L
3 oz Roasted Barley
5 oz Dark Munich
4 oz Black Malt
4 oz flaked oats

extracts
2 qt Dark lme
1/2 qt pale lme
1lb light dme
4 oz dextrose

hops
1 1/2 oz kent goldings

other
1 scoop irish moss
1 8oz can of cocoa powder

steep grains 160-170 30 mins
add all extracts just before temp reaches boiling
60 mins 1 oz kent goldings
15 mins 1/2 oz kent goldings, scoop of irish moss, and can of cocoa, and i guess 4oz lactose.

chill and pitch SafAle s-04

my 0G was 1.082 and FG was 1.022

Back