almost came to blows tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithbeats

Reaction score
I was out at a bar, playing pool and there was this guy who was acting aggressive the whole night. I noticed he started acting tough to a friend who is a local there.

I walked up and asked what was going on and immediately his buddy who was bigger than him( the aggressive guy was about 5'6) got in my face and tried to scare me off by saying "who the f are you". Then he put out his hand for me to shake, and i said "I'm not going to shake your hand, who are you?"
Then the agro guy walks between us, calls me a beech and walks about 10 feet away. I said "what did you say" then the bartender who is a friend told us to go outside and told me to go home which I did.
I was walking, and I somewhat was expecting them to roll up on me. Here is the rub. The agro dude knows my swmbo's friend and will be at a party we are attending Friday. What should I do?
And was I to agro myself?

You may have been. I would have shaken the guy's hand to try to defuse the whole situation. There is nothing dumber than a bunch of guys flexing their beer muscles. What was your friend doing during all of this -- making his getaway?

So which guy is going to be at the party, the little guy or the big guy. Either way, I would probably just ignore them. If they try to get aggressive with you, make sure you have numbers on your side. That usually prevents any difficulties. Oh, and don't get so drunk you lose your judgment.

(the aggressive guy was about 5'6)

Ray Charles saw that one coming.

Here is the rub. The agro dude knows my swmbo's friend and will be at a party we are attending Friday. What should I do?

I'd start off by asking Napoleon where he parked his horse. That'll ought to start things off on a lively foot. :D

Seriously though, just take 'em as they come. Don't feed his attention issues and if he lands a hand on you, drag junior outside by his scruff and beat the tar out of him.

Seriously though, just take 'em as they come. Don't feed his attention issues and if he lands a hand on you, drag junior outside by his scruff and beat the tar out of him.

Agreed I had a situation similar to yours once and the guy showed up apologized and then avoided me all night long. If he would try to start something either throw him out.

Be the alpha male and go up to him and ask if he's feeling better?

He may say "what?"

Then you say "you were pretty ripped the other night, I'm glad it didn't get ugly."...or something to that effect.

Then that's his turn to show his stripes. If he apologizes then all is cool and forgiven. If he gets aggressive, well, then you clock him.;)

You should have shook the guys hand. While we all want to pound the tar out of someone here and then but it sucks to wake up in jail - especially with bruises.

Good to hear a fight didn't actually start - doesn't sound like there was anything worth fighting over.

Go to the next party. If Napoleon tries to start something, leave.

There are few things I hate more than a mean drunk. Sadly, I have a few friends from my college years who turn belligerent when they've been drinking. I don't hang out with them much anymore for just that reason.

Yeah, the only thing I hate worse than someone that gets liquored up and wants to start fighting everyone in the room is a crying drunk.

I'm a loud drunk...my voice gets exponentially louder with ever beer I consume, to the point of the whole bar heard what I said about that chick's ass over there. :eek: :D But at least I'm happy.

I'm a loud drunk...my voice gets exponentially louder with ever beer I consume, to the point of the whole bar heard what I said about that chick's ass over there. But at least I'm happy.

Yep - and we hang out often enough to know we're cut from the same cloth in that regard. :D

I've seen this episode ... isn't this the one where Screech stands up to the bully and the bully realizes him and screech have so much in common?:D

Don't stress. If you see him at the party go and say hi - he will probably be cool. Otherwise remember - the bigger they are....
Try this :
Of course if he was an All-American wrestler then you may be in trouble :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, go for the double leg takedown, you'll gain more control over them. And remember, look at his ears before you pick a fight with him. If they're all messed up, just move on. :D

Don't stress. If you see him at the party go and say hi - he will probably be cool. Otherwise remember - the bigger they are....
Try this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnQSKpGOrA
Of course if he was an All-American wrestler then you may be in trouble :D

Guys, he put his hand out to shake so that when you shake it, he grabs a hold hard and pulls you in for the beat down. It's an old dirty trick used by cowards.

That's when you bust him across the face with an left elbow and then pull his head down towards your right knee where it busts his nose and drops him like the sack of **** he is. Then you just stroll over and pick your beer back up.

Chances are the guys a dick and will scurry away when he sees you at the party. Unless he has his big backup shows up as well.

That's when you bust him across the face with an left elbow and then pull his head down towards your right knee where it busts his nose and drops him like the sack of **** he is. Then you just stroll over and pick your beer back up.

I read this with batman sound effects included. I assume that's how you intended it.

Just remember to take your bowstaff or crossbow, if you have one, to the party.

This thread is beginning to enter "sounding tough on the internet" territory, and we all know how that ends.:drunk:

Just make sure you have a bottle of homebrew to break over his head if he wants to play tough guy again.

I was out one night and some guy was being an aggressive drunken ass to everyone there and I snapped. Didn't take him down, but I cut loose on him verbally... in front of everyone... on the microphone (it was karaoke night). He was damned big and had two buddies with him and I spent the rest of the night worrying if I'd get jumped in the parking lot when I went to leave. I got to know one of his buddies a couple weeks later and it turns out that the drunken ass guy spent the whole night worrying that I was gonna jump him! Most of them are more bluster than they are action in the end.

I was at a Micky-D's many years ago when a drunk and his buddy tried to pick a fight with us.

I walked away. He followed me out and hit me from behind. As I had him down his buddy hit me from behind.

My buddy grabbed him and he said leave it one on one. Good call.

The other guys buddy said you want some of me? My buddy cut him 7 times...bad call.

I got out of jail the next morning. The second guy lived...

It's always best to walk away...;)

I read this with batman sound effects included. I assume that's how you intended it.

Old school batman? Did you mentally include the "Blam" and "Kapow"?

Just remember to take your bowstaff or crossbow, if you have one, to the party.

Bowstaff ... lol. Now I'm picturing him fighting in a dungeons & dragons game dressed up like a paladin or ranger.

It's morning now and I realize how lame it all is. Thanks for the replies.

The question I still have in my mind is, should I have shaken his hand. He was about 6'1, not a 'big' guy relative to me, 6'0. He put out his hand not really to diffuse, but in a condescending way, I guess you just had to hear him. And being from the neighborhoods I'm from you just don't cop out like that. Weird I know, but it sticks with you.
The funny thing is, is my girl works at a bank, Silicon Valley Bank and writes loans (up to 100 mill) to VC's and the party is going to be with a bunch of those kinds of people. Much younger than you think 25-35, but think *****ebags all over the place!
I'm sure nothing will happen. I just can't believe the little guys tactic of cruising by and calling me a name while walking by real fast!

Pop open a bottle of bud light, piss in it, and make sure he gets it at the party.

Seriously, this is why I don't go to bars anymore.

Guys, he put his hand out to shake so that when you shake it, he grabs a hold hard and pulls you in for the beat down. It's an old dirty trick used by cowards.

QFT. The only take away from this thread should be, in an aggressive situation don't be an idiot and walk smiling into a beat down. The most important thing is any fight is distance. By shaking the guys hand you just gave him all the cards.

Bring a white glove with you to the party, slap him across the face with the un-handed glove, and challenge him to a duel... pistols at dawn.

Make sure you stretch out before doing any of your Rex Kwan Do. And wear some of those old school sweat pants to the party. Nobody's gonna mess with you when you're dressed like that. It'd be even better if you were involved with an American Gladiator.

"You think someone wants a round house kick while im wearing these?
forget about it"
get the american flag mc hammers,there patriotic and bada$$

"You think someone wants a round house kick while im wearing these?
forget about it"
get the american flag mc hammers,there patriotic and bada$$

Your wife's name wouldn't happen to be Starla, would it?

In my early twenties I got into a lot of bar fights. Nobody ever seems to care (if even remember) the next day.

All it does really, is ruin the rest of the night of the disagreement.

Back