Brewing and Boots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear brewing boots

• Yes, it is the required uniform.

• No, but I should

• No, only faeries wear boots.

• cmdr Taco wears boots.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I brew barefoot or in flops. Brewing indoors has it's benefits. I don't have to move any hot pots or fluids around, solid plumbing so no QDs to screw up and spray myself. Water goes in cold and wort leaves at 70*.

Funny story about steel toes. I was working at a waste water plant and the plant safety official ripped me up one side and down another for not wearing safety caps. She continued to tell me how dangerous this plant can be and all of the dangerous chemicals around.
"Yeah, Im fully aware of your Chlorine gas control room and how the Cl2 detectors don't work when I got gassed the last time I was here. Steel toes would have only slowed my escape."
She stormed off to chew the instrumentation guy or plant manager for not reporting it. Got her to leave me alone though.

I hardly ever go barefoot outside. Used to when my feet were a bit tougher, but I usually wear moccasin style slippers when I'm just putzing.

But I ALWAYS wear my safety glasses when I'm working in the shop. All you need is to see someone get a metal shaving in their eye to make you remember to do it.

I brew in the garage, where I do all manners of wood and metal working, with all the associated splinters and shavings, and I'm barefoot in here all the time (including right now. I really should go sweep.). I brew, cut wood, and drill metal barefooted.

But yeah, any time there are splinters flying I've got goggles on. And strangely, and time I'm gluing (anything from wood glue to horrible epoxies) I wear proper gloves. The power plane even makes me put earplugs in.

Makes me wonder if it's only because I've never seen anyone have a horrible foot-related injury. I know deaf guys, a guy with one eye, and several people missing fingers, but as far as I know everyone's got their feet intact...

I wear shoes that I can slip on and off, just in case i need to run inside for some reason

boots would be better, but the floor gets crazy dirty on brew day as it is

I own boots, but, then again, I was born and raised in Texas. :p

They currently sit in a box with lots of other things that I do not use and have not used in quite a while. -.-

I usually wear something like these:

fuzzyboots.jpg

Occasionally I spill some wort, but then my dog crawls up through a mysteriously open manhole and licks it up. I bottle in gas cans because drinking from gas cans makes you more badass.

Ok, obscure rock band references/REALLY bad jokes aside, I don't wear boots when brewing. I do wear closed toe shoes, and I'm very conscious of the hazards associated with brewing beer (especially when brewing and consuming slightly overlap).

how do you get the skulls on your feet?

a brewery is not a machine shop! i wear steel toes all week and get a tad tired of them. i only wear deck shoes. gotta be comfy standing arround. as to the hot liquids, fire, glass, etc... think about what you're doing not about the neighbor lookin sexy this morning in her robe.

do gloves count? i got a set of blickmann's coming... \/

um7.jpg

My brewing boots really hurt my feet, so I picked up some waterproof no slip steel toe boots. I am thinking of taking them out with my coveralls for brewing in the future. I like the gloves.

a brewery is not a machine shop! i wear steel toes all week and get a tad tired of them. i only wear deck shoes. gotta be comfy standing arround. as to the hot liquids, fire, glass, etc... think about what you're doing not about the neighbor lookin sexy this morning in her robe.

do gloves count? i got a set of blickmann's coming... \/

um7.jpg

On an unrelated note, you know where that tshirt is from? I like it.

I mow barefoot (tonight, in fact). I can't imagine how shoes are going to help me. I do have a broken toe that kills me after running, but I broke it (methinks) on some free weights in the middle of a dark room.

Stunt, I'm with you on the big brother thing, but that is another topic. Up the establishment!

:mug: Cheers to you my friend, I am 48 years old never understood how someone falls with their foot under a mower, or stupid enough to weed eat so close to your own foot (you have to turn the weed eater backwards or something). If I was clearing brush or something I sure would put the shoes if not work boots on. My lawn is a cookie cutter, we keep it nice, so nothing bigger than a twig (usually SWMBO even has that picked up). I love her!

I won't use the weed eater in shorts because I dont' care for the stray crap that hits my ankles. *shrug*

the topic was brewery footwear in regards to hazards in the environment to the feet. then a comment about protection to hands in the brewery. something i have much more concern about then my feet. still on topic of safety.. so how is wearing pants with regard to the safety of ones self while whackin the back yard unrelated?

in hindsight, that comment didn't come out right.

brewed in flip-flops tonight, was 40 degrees. Come on wheres your sense of adventure! Man up, a little bubble-up of boiling wort shooting out of the brew kettle makes you jump and dodge instead of watching paint peel.

Usually my birks... as I am in and out of the house, where my 18 month old is. Or doing other jobs. And I always wear my birks....

I am an old hippy. If there were some kind of conflict between boiling sticky wort and my bare feet......My calloused hardy feet would make the wort stoop down and suck on my big toe.

I have a hearty disrespect of all that should be healthy for me and I will die youngish. Nothing would embarrass me more than living to be 100!

I wear flip flops, since that's what I wear 90% of the year (thank you SoCal weather). But I do get the thought that I should be wearing something more... substantial every time I brew.

The last brew day I did was the first time I moved from using my stove to a banjo burner... and feeling the heat thrown off by that thing on my feet was enough to tell me I should wear some better footwear next time.

I know I should have on the right safety stuff but I live in south Texas so it's shorts and sandals most of the time. I have splashed hot wort once or twice on my foot but I'm not bright enough to learn.

i brew in whatever i happen to be wearing that day, but when i'm cleaning up with the hose, i bought a pair of dairy boots at the farm & ranch store to keep my feet dry. i f-ing hate wet shoes/socks, so the boots work great at keepin the old dogs dry.

I put on boots during the winter when I have to trudge through the snow to dump my mashtun behind the woodpile.

I either wear the classic 8 eye black DrMarten's all day or 7 eye brown DrMarten's Chukka boots for work so I vote boots for all day/everyday wear.

My brewing boots are an old pair of fireman boots with wool lining or a pair of cut off wader stream boots that the hips dry rotted out. The fireman boots are also my shovel the walk in winter boots. Heavy suckers...

I also have hunting boots, winter boots, and multiple pairs of ice fishing boots. Mickey Mouse boots for the win! ;)

Back