This one needs to age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I have a RIS that I made this fall and man it is huge. It is really clean, but full of alcohol! It was well over 1.100 and over 100 IBUs (I don't remember exactly) and it needs a couples years I think.

I haven't had a beer this big in a long time. I guess I will be breaking out the bottle filler soon.

How long have you let the "Dark Night of the Soul" brew age?

That sucker is MAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEE. :rockin:

I still have most of it sitting in a dark corner. I dust off a bottle every now and again just to see how it is doing. It is more like a port these days!

Man, some of us crazy Austin area homebrewers were sitting around :drunk: at a party and were talking about how sweet it would be to sour a barleywine. I'm thinking more of an imperial stout since I'm a huge imperial stout fan. Either way, that'd be sweet, and it'd be even more fun to age it in a real oak barrel. Forget a dowel through a bung. ;)

Man, some of us crazy Austin area homebrewers were sitting around :drunk: at a party and were talking about how sweet it would be to sour a barleywine. I'm thinking more of an imperial stout since I'm a huge imperial stout fan. Either way, that'd be sweet, and it'd be even more fun to age it in a real oak barrel. Forget a dowel through a bung. ;)

Maybe I'm just not as creative with the bugs but that sounds friggen nasty to me.

Maybe I'm just not as creative with the bugs but that sounds friggen nasty to me.

Well one of the things we were thinking is that the bugs won't do much, because of the high alcohol... ferment with cali ale, and after it attenuates add the bugs and then wait a couple of years. I'd be surprised if it was too sour. If it is you could always stabilize the sour one with campden tabs and brew another batch to blend them. It'd be a fun multi year project. I'd do this now but I don't have room for a barrel to age.

Not at all. For the 08-08-08 RIS swap Brewpastor sent me some of his RIS with Russian River bugs. It was very good and very interesting. The bugs really add to the complexity.

Now his regular 08-08-08 RIS was better as was the RIS with Raspberries so there is room for improvement but I definitely saw some promise from using bugs in a imperial stout.

Craig

My bugged 888 has really taken on some interesting character, so much that I pitched a starter from it in a carboy of the batch this thread started about. I am hoping to let it sit for awhile as well. I do have to admit that I am not a big brett fan, but I do like soured beers. The culture from Russian River ends up with a little Britt, some sour and a lot of fruit.

What are folks experiences with the commercial "bug" yeasts.

I think I see a sour bug thread growing here. Maybe I will start one on its own.

My bugged 888 has really taken on some interesting character, so much that I pitched a starter from it in a carboy of the batch this thread started about. I am hoping to let it sit for awhile as well. I do have to admit that I am not a big brett fan, but I do like soured beers. The culture from Russian River ends up with a little Britt, some sour and a lot of fruit.

What are folks experiences with the commercial "bug" yeasts.

I think I see a sour bug thread growing here. Maybe I will start one on its own.

D**n i should have saved that bottle for a while. I still really enjoyed it.

I have a flanders red going now that use Wyeast Roselare blend in it. How do you think that would do in an imperial stout if I dropped a couple oak cubes from the Flanders Red in the beer after fermentation?

I think I have my next long term project. A sour Imperial Stout. I think I will listen here for awhile before deciding exactly how to sour the beer.

Craig

Back