Halted fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brelic

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been away for a while, happily creating wonderful brews and wines :)

Unfortunately, I ran into a bit of a snag with my latest batch of beer. It's from a Brew House kit (Red Ale) and once everything was ready to go in the primary fermenter, I decided for some odd reason to use the heat belt. I really thought it was going to get too cold in that room, so I put it on, hoping it would help sustain a proper fermentation.

Well, to my dismay, the heat belt got too hot, and the fermentation got too aggressive. It pushed off the lid, and I lost a good amount of liquid... not too much to ruin the beer, but enough to be annoyed at the cleanup.

However, the more critical part is that I think this spillage included the yeast, as it has halted since that time.

I started the batch last Wednesday, October 22. That night, it bubbled over. I cleaned it up, and let it continue to ferment to see what would happen (removing the belt as well).

The OG was 1.046. Two days later, on the 24th, it was 1.010. As of last night, it was still at 1.010. I just haven't had time to take care of this in the past few days. But now I do. :)

So, any advice? I'm now sure I've lost the yeast. Even if the SG is now at an almost acceptable level (albeit low in potential alcohol level), there isn't any yeast left to carbonate the beer at bottling time.

Any advice? Should I add more yeast? If so, how much? Will I need to halt fermentation once I add new yeast, so that it doesn't get too low? EDIT: The batch is for 6 gallons (23 liters).

I don't want to lose this batch!

Thanks!

RDWHAHB
Your yeast have done their job and fermented properly. At 1.010 sounds like it is done fermenting. I would leave it for a couple weeks in the fermenter to let the yeast clean up after themselves then bottle. There should be plenty of yeast left.

Really? I'm just really worried that it won't carbonate (on top of being a weak beer).

My current batch reached the target FG in a few days but I am still keeping it in the primary for 3 weeks (maybe more). More time = better beer!

My current batch reached the target FG in a few days but I am still keeping it in the primary for 3 weeks (maybe more). More time = better beer!

Yes, that is true... but is it normal for the SG to remain stable for the better part of a week? It hasn't changed even one iota.

Its normal for it to stay in one spot because it is done fermenting. If it kept going much below where it is you would end up with a dry watery tasting beer. Whats left are complex sugars/carbohydrates that beer yeast has trouble breaking down. These are what give the beer a malty backbone and body. I promise there is enough yeast to carb you dont need much. If your worried sprinkle a little dry yeast in your priming bucket when you bottle. Again you dont need much.

Yes, that is true... but is it normal for the SG to remain stable for the better part of a week? It hasn't changed even one iota.

When the yeasties are done, they're done! The FG shouldn't change. If it changes then fermentation isn't done. That kits Red Ale at 1010 will be a good tasting beer. There are plenty of yeasties left to carb with. RDWHAHB :mug:

Allright, then I shall heed the advice of those who know!

Thanks for the hope you have restored :)

Back