Just bottled my first brew (a few questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Towers

Reaction score
Well, I really only have one question, it pertains to the taste. I do see that borders has started a similar thread, but I didn't want to hijack it with my own question.

After all was said and done last night with my bottling, I had 1/2 a bottle left over. I figured I could cap it, or drink it. I decided to drink it. The taste wasn't bad, but it was VERY bland. I could detect the flavoring, but there was no bitterness. I am hoping the bitterness will develop as it sits in the bottles. Am I right? Or did I just make a bland beer?

Towers said:
Well, I really only have one question, it pertains to the taste. I do see that borders has started a similar thread, but I didn't want to hijack it with my own question.

After all was said and done last night with my bottling, I had 1/2 a bottle left over. I figured I could cap it, or drink it. I decided to drink it. The taste wasn't bad, but it was VERY bland. I could detect the flavoring, but there was no bitterness. I am hoping the bitterness will develop as it sits in the bottles. Am I right? Or did I just make a bland beer?

Give it time. In a few weeks or a month you will have a beer that is nothing like what you tasted at bottling time.

And it will be a good beer.

Yay, that's what I was hoping to hear :)

EDIT: He he, I just noticed that your response kinda sounded like a prophecy.....

"And yea, the top was popped and the beer was drunk, and it was good"

Also carbonated beer tends to taste a good bit more bitter than flat beer...

Well, after 1 week in the bottle, my beer is tasting promising. It still needs some time, so I will let it sit for another week and then try another one :)

Towers said:
Well, after 1 week in the bottle, my beer is tasting promising. It still needs some time, so I will let it sit for another week and then try another one :)

Hold off for two weeks. :)

Gammon N Beer said:
Hold off for two weeks. :)

Do you mean hold off for two MORE weeks, totaling 3 weeks? That was my plan, but I figured I would taste it every week so I can track it's progress :)

Back