To high to bottle???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al0311

Reaction score
Hello all Iam seeking some good advice. Iam coming towards the end of my second batch of beer a lemon coriander kit from mid west brewery. The problem Iam having is this. I have had this batch in a glass carboy for a little over three weeks. Today I got everything ready for bottling and right before I started to go at it I did my final gravity test. The final gravity came back at around 1.018-1.019 the directions say it should be at 1.010-1.012. Obvisouly this is a problem I really don't know what I should do should I go ahead and bottle anyway since it has been over three weeks? Or wait another week? Note: it has been a heat wave here for a few weeks on and off it's been over 95 some days I store the batch in my garage where it is 75 on the side of the carboy any help will be mic appreciated Iam also going to try and attach a photo of my hydrometer reading.

chances are, it's done. check it in a day or two. no change? bottle it.

I might consider rousing the yeast back into suspension then waiting another week... without seeing the recipe or the mods you have done i would say it's not done. If your temp has maintained 75 its def possible that it's finished high. What kind of yeast did you use?

hi I just uploaded the pics from what i took regarding the hydrometer reading any suggestions ??

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Looks way too high, also have you spun the hydrometer to keep it off the wall of the test jar? That looks like over 1.020 and very high for bottling.

I checked the wyeast site and the yeast stays in suspension for a while apparently... It's a high grav beer though not very high, i would def try stirring the yeast up with a sanitized racking cane then wait another week and take another reading. Did you check your starting gravity? Also have you tried checking you hydrometer in either plain tap water or ro or distilled water to make sure it is correctly calibrated?

yes it was an extract batch it came with two malt extract containers which is where I got aa little confused it didnt specify to put both in or one so I put both in lol :eek: will that affect my gravity reading?
I am gonna go down stairs and test my hydrometer ill get right back to you.

Definitely verify the calibration of your hydrometer. It should read 1.000 in distilled water at 60 degrees. As an extract batch it is quite possible it's finished. There is a thread called "The dreaded 1.020" by Yooper that discusses how some extract kits just get to 1.020 and stop for no known reasons. If the gravity remains unchanged in a couple days IMO you can bottle it

If it's extract, it is very possible you are experiencing the "1.020 extract curse". Sometimes they just finish there no matter what you do.

okay thank you yeah my hydrometer seemed a little off but maybe because it wasn't distilled water it was just tap water. But, ill give it a few days and look at it again thank you guys so much cheers:)

okay thank you yeah my hydrometer seemed a little off but maybe because it wasn't distilled water it was just tap water. But, ill give it a few days and look at it again thank you guys so much cheers:)

You need to check that hydrometer at low and high gravities. I.e., it can read water perfectly at 1.000 but still be way, way off at higher gravities. I just experienced this. Check it out. I've got a simple method to check the upper limit there.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/check-your-hydrometers-345384/

Back