How to properly serve a Berline Weisse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally found some raspberry syrup (couldn't find woodruff anywhere). Anyone know how to properly serve a Berliner? How much syrup? Is the syrup supposed to be cold when you pour it in?

I've only had this at a pub with the raspberry syrup. It was at a Winking Lizard here in Ohio, several years ago, so this may not be correct or traditional. It was served with a small plastic shot glass of syrup (room temp) on the side, so you could add as much as you liked. I've heard the woodruff can give a medicinal taste if overdone, but, like I say, I've never had it. When I have bought Berliner Weisse for home consumption, I've taken my medicine straight- ohne Sirup!

you can add whatever syrup you like, Ive found that seedless jam in the bottom of the glass is very nice as well

FYI woodruff syrup + b weiss = lucky charms

I prefer no syrup at all and doubt that it was historically consumed that way. From what I've read that is more of a modern convention meant to appease the palate's of contemporary standards and expectations of sweetness/lack of sourness in beer. To each their own and all that though.

Normally, I'd agree with you. I love sour beers. Earlier today I had an awesome barley wine that my friend soured with brett. But my Berliner is so sour that it is impossible to enjoy it as is. Rather than dump 6 gallons of salvageable beer, I'm schuss'n it up.

I think the starter of lacto I made was too big. Next time, I'm cutting it in half.

if you get tired of drinking syrup with each pour, you could always blend with a batch of non-soured wheat to taste...

Sirup to taste. I've served mine with Blueberry and Vanilla too.

I prefer to dose the glass with sirup and then pour the beer over that to ensure it's adequately blended.

Why don't you just blend it? If you don't have another beer to blend with right now, just brew up a nice quick standard wheat beer. Those things can go grain-to-glass in two weeks if you do them right. Then you can blend until you get just the right sourness for you.

Sirup to taste. I've served mine with Blueberry and Vanilla too.

I prefer to dose the glass with sirup and then pour the beer over that to ensure it's adequately blended.

I'm to find more to try it with. Did you just use vanilla flavoring or did you find a syrup? I can't wait to try maple. I also plan on dosing the glass first. It seemed to sit on the bottom if I poured the beer in first.

Why don't you just blend it? If you don't have another beer to blend with right now, just brew up a nice quick standard wheat beer. Those things can go grain-to-glass in two weeks if you do them right. Then you can blend until you get just the right sourness for you.

I might still do that for some of it. But I want to try it with different syrups first.

I'm to find more to try it with. Did you just use vanilla flavoring or did you find a syrup? I can't wait to try maple. I also plan on dosing the glass first. It seemed to sit on the bottom if I poured the beer in first.

1.) I just use the coffee syrups. One of them I have is Vanilla Bean for Vanilla Iced Cofee. Have also tried Strawberry, Mango, and Peach.

2.) Ayup. I tried pouring it into the beer the first time too. Then swirled to mix. the beer lost too much carbonation that way so I switched to beer on top the next pint. Have done it that way ever since.

However, I also drink mine without syrup often enough it gioves me a stomach ache from all teh acid.

I have used chokecherry syrup and homemade rhubarb syrup in my BWs. I still prefer them plain.

Just got a hold of some REAL berliner: Bayrischer Bahnhof.

Mine is WAY more acidic than this one. It says that this version is slightly restrained, but still. Now I see why a few of you drink it without schuss. I definitely don't need or want any in this one.

I'm really wondering how the judges are going to take mine now.

Just got a hold of some REAL berliner: Bayrischer Bahnhof.

Mine is WAY more acidic than this one. It says that this version is slightly restrained, but still. Now I see why a few of you drink it without schuss. I definitely don't need or want any in this one.

I'm really wondering how the judges are going to take mine now.

I really wish I could find a commerical version here. I had to brew it to have any idea of what it was or could be. I think the acidity of mine is spot on but my tolerence is not what it used to be. Fuggin reflux!

Still, would be nice to know how close I actually got.

Work out a trade with me ;)

This place may even have more brands. I was sort of rushing to get home. I'd never been to this store before but got a heads up from someone recently to check there. They easily have over 1000 different beers. I was going to take pictures but felt weird doing it.

Back