Brand New Carboy...Clean or Rinse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
Just wondering how you all prep a brand new carboy. Is it necessary to clean it with something like PBW or is a nice rinse with hot water all it needs?

Warm water...dont shock it with hot water, you will cause it to crack. Then just sanitize with starsan or whatever you use before you put anything in it. No need to use PBW on a new carboy. It should be just filled with dust from the cardboard or insulation used in shipping.
-Jefe-

I did a short oxiclean soak with mine. Maybe that's unnecessary, but why take a chance?

Warm water...dont shock it with hot water, you will cause it to crack. Then just sanitize with starsan or whatever you use before you put anything in it. No need to use PBW on a new carboy. It should be just filled with dust from the cardboard or insulation used in shipping.
-Jefe-

Aw, c'mon... Hot water won't crack it. Unless you just pulled it from your freezer.

I've actually put boiling water into one on accident. Don't ask, just remember counterflow chillers only work with the water turned on :)

I did a short oxiclean soak with mine. Maybe that's unnecessary, but why take a chance?

no need for oxiclean since it is only used to clean the junk off and there is no junk...just rinse and sanitize (sarstan, or whatever you use)

I clean everything before using it.
That goes for glass (which ought to be clean), but one never knows what's been inside it.
Roaches and bugs creep me out.

Back