Wheat IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewangski1

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting together a Wheat IPA. Has anyone tried anything like this? Doesn't seen to be very common in the commercial brewing world, and it makes me wonder if the combination is rejected by the pallet. The idea is to produce a very nice, light spring beer, but I love hops and am already loaded in typical pale and ipas.

My current thought is:

50% Wheat (mostly malted, some flaked)
40-45% 2-row base
0-5% light toast/crystal
5% flaked rice/oats

IBU's targeted around 50-60, a very modest IPA, bordering a Pale. I imagine that with such a light flavored beer that too much over 50/60 IBU's could seem like too much. I'm thinking lighter hops for bittering (60, thinking Crystal or Willamette) and maybe some of the American C's for the middle (25) and late additions (15, FO) leaning towards Chinook and have tidbits of Columbus leftover from earlier brew.

I also prefer dry yeast. Personally, I think liquid it too expensive especially for me and my 2.5G batches. My inclination on the yeast is Danstar Windsor which wouldn't impart the cloves and esters, but would still be true to the grain bill.

Gumballhead by Three Floyds is a hoppy wheat beer. This a clone recipe or two in the recipe section. Check it out.

Back