FG of 1st all grain lower than expected.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alee

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain (an ESB) last weekend. The OG was 1.055 and it was mashed at 152 deg F. I checked the gravity this morning and it was 1.005! This is by far the lowest gravity I have had since brewing. My extract brews were usually 1.011ish. Is this due to the switch to all grain or is it because of the mash temp? I like dry beers so it is perfect for me. Just curious because it doesn't match Beersmith's estimated FG of 1.013 and it is out of range for the beer style.
I will drink the heck out of it though and enjoy every drop!!

Beersmith is usually accurate for me at their "medium" temperature setting, whatever they call it. 154*. At 150 - 152 I get FG similar to you, at 156 it is in the high teens or so.

OK,thanks. I used 170 deg water to mash with which game me an exactly 152 deg mash. I am brewing a smoked poter this weekend and should probably not shoot for such a dry beer. Should I increase the mash water temp a couple of degrees only? I am using a 10gal rubbermaid water cooler with a false bottom. It only lost 1 deg over an hour.

OK,thanks. I used 170 deg water to mash with which game me an exactly 152 deg mash. I am brewing a smoked poter this weekend and should probably not shoot for such a dry beer. Should I increase the mash water temp a couple of degrees only? I am using a 10gal rubbermaid water cooler with a false bottom. It only lost 1 deg over an hour.

All else being equal, for a smoked porter I'd go with 154 personally. It doesn't take much to get too hot and wind up with an overly sweet tasting beer.

Make sure you check your thermometer, if you haven't. I've had problems myself with overattenuation, and have to mash a little higher because of it. My thermometer is spot on, though, now. If your thermometer is off even by 2 degrees, it can make a difference in attenuation.

I always calibrate both thermometers in boiling water before I brew. They have an adjustment on the back..which I'm sure most do.

Back