Keggle siphon issues or clogging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunleav1

Reaction score
I just converted a keg to kettle and I've done two batches.

The first batch I had a bazooka screen mounted in the bottom of the middle of the kettle. That did not work I kept clogging when I was trying to drain to my fermenter.

So the second batch I put a 90 degree copper fitting on the keg side of the kettle and used a stainless scrubee as a filter. The bottom of the 90 is about 2 inches from the vertical wall of the keg. I whirlpooled and waited about 4 minutes. I then opened the ball valve while slowly raising the hose to get a full hose before draining into my carboy. The first gallon drained great and then I clogged. It wasn't a heavy hop batch, how can I get my siphon working for my entire batch without clogging?

Thanks for the help.

Do you use a hop bag? Muslim or the nylon paint strainer from lowes to put your hops in during boiling.

I have a dip tube with no strainer or filter material. Instead the filtering is done on the CFC exit with a nylon strainer. Helps to aerate and catches any proteins trub that didn't settle during whirpooling.

Works great, never had a slow or stuck flow with 4 batches.

Not sure if this is the right way to do it, but definately works for me. The newb is learning. :)

I am hoping that maybe I clogged because I didn't let the beer settle long enough after whirlpool. I run a hose from my ball valve to inside my fermenter. Having to deal with an external strainer would be kind of a pain.

Forgot to add that I am using an immersion chiller for cooling.

I searched the forums and it seems like this is a common problem - hopefully the longer settle time will help.

Do you use whole or pellet hops? I like pellet hops for just this reason. On my keggle I use a 6in piece of pipe with a 90 on the end, no screen. I get a little trub in the fermenter, but i have never had it plug off.:D

I use the 1/2" copper pipe with 90* angle fitting into the center of the keggle. that goes down to almost the bottom of the keggle with a SS scrubbie wedged underneath it. I use a CFC so drain the BK within 5 min of flame out W/O whirlpool. the first time I did this it was painfully slow/stuck. I decided to dril a series of holes 3/4" up on my angled copper pipe but still within the scrubbie. This drained incredibly fast, without Clogging.

-Nathan

Until I get around to adding a weld-less faucet to my keggle, I am using my auto siphon.

I just wrap the end of it in a large grain bag. When the trub stops the flow, I move the bag around until I find a clean spot, then restart the siphon.

It is SLOW going, though.

This might not be a full answer the what you are asking, but a 4 minute wait after whirlpool is pretty much like nothing. Try more like a half hour.

Do you use whole or pellet hops? I like pellet hops for just this reason. On my keggle I use a 6in piece of pipe with a 90 on the end, no screen. I get a little trub in the fermenter, but i have never had it plug off.:D

I used pellet hops on both clogs.

Back