Completely F*C*E*D Up Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Ok, so this is my first PM. It's an AHS Sweet Stout.

#1 Hit my mash temps too high. Around 170.

#2 I cannot find the Lactose or the Hops (only calls for 1 oz)

Is this beer even worth seeing to the end? Should I just dump it now?

Did you hop it at all?

If you hopped it, then of course you pitch yeast and see it through, you should never dump a beer unless you are sure it is infected...You never know what wonderful magic the yeast will go to the wort....I mean without lactose, then a stout is still a stout...just not a milk stout...SO what..

If you hopped it, and you pitched yeast you still made beer.

Is there anyway I can save the wort or should I just start over next week? It's probably not even worth it since my mash temps were so high.

Chill your wort and put it in a sanitized carboy with an airlock full of spirits. Hold on pitching the yeast until you make a hop tea and mix, then pitch the yeast. You'll make a killer Stout to have for winter.

How did you get the mash temp so high? Any mash calculator will get you very close.
I notice you call yourself Chef Chris but I thought a chef has all his ingredients and procedure before cooking?

How did you get the mash temp so high? Any mash calculator will get you very close.
I notice you call yourself Chef Chris but I thought a chef has all his ingredients and procedure before cooking?

haha, yeah, i'm no chef. it's a dumb name a friend gave me cause my last name is cook. I decided to just **** it and try again next weekend.

my mash temps were so high because I try to account for the addition of grains to lower the temp a good bit. However, that didn't happen. Live and learn. Thanks guys.

Tough luck about that buddy, better luck next week. I think they used to make beer without hops like way back in the day. Still drinkable I bet, may taste sweet or something I dunno.

ya, just decided to get drunk and go to Waffle House. I mean, what else is there to do after a bad brew day??

(Of course, I'm not driving)

my mash temps were so high because I try to account for the addition of grains to lower the temp a good bit. However, that didn't happen. Live and learn. Thanks guys.

Next time add some cold water to cool that puppy down.

You gotta have hops for beer. As suggested, make a hop tea and add it. Personally, I'd ferment now and hop later instead of leaving an fermented wort for several days.

As for dumping it; Time does wonders. NEVER dump a beer that hasn't aged for 6 months and STILL tastes like satan's anus(1).

(1) - Not my words, need citation.

No hops. Cannot find them. I don't know if they didn't get shipped or if I just lost em.

I'm so stressed.

AHS did the same to me on my first mini mash. No hops in the kit??? they did ship them out the next day. Luckily i checked everything b4 i started.

.vs. wasting stuff, I'm prone to go ahead and experiment - if nothing else, you'd have an actual example of what unhopped beer (which some olden-beer was) is like. But I guess you already dumped it.

You could also have used it as an opportunity to bitter with some alternate herbs (also true of olden-beer). Hops have only been in vogue for something like 400 years, beer has been around a lot longer.

Always a good idea to have spare yeast and spare hops in the fridge/freezer - doesn't matter much what kind - you'll get beer, whether it's the exact style you were after or not.

Latest posts

Back