Primary Fermenting Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHare

Reaction score
Quick question, got a heating belt for my brew and put it on, and the temp says its currently about 25 (or 77 in funny money) The instructions that came with the kit said to leave it at 21-24.

Without the heater belt, I guess its going to be at ambient temperature, which here in the uk at the moment (indoors) will probably vary from about 16 - 20 (60-68 or so)

So the question is. Is it better to ferment a little too warm, or better to go for a cooler fermentation and let it ferment for longer?

I pitched at about 24 like the instructions said, so that bits probably OK. (And I can see foam inside the barrel, so its doing something )

The particular brew in question is a stout.

Thanks in advance.

PaulH.

Always try to err to the lower side of the temperature range rather than the higher. The higher the temperature, the more yeasty characteristics you will pick up. Slow and cool is generally better than fast and warm. I would say always better, but I'm sure there are situations where this is not true.

Paul, some of the liquid ale strains have ranges up to 74 funny money :~)
the higher temps will yield fruitier flavors, not as dry a finish. sounds like you have optimal ale ferm temps in the house.......
good luck w/ the stout!

DeRoux's Broux

you'll be fine. i don't know where you live, but here in Texas, brewing sux in the summer time. when i ferment, i'll set my carboy in my kettle, add water close to the tope of the kettle, then put a fan on it. i'll set a little timer on it to cycle on and off, just so it's not running all the time. seems to help temp's hold in the low 70's, upper 60's. plus i keep the house on about 72-73 anyway. have to remember too, when it's fermenting, it generates some heat. minimal, but adds to it.

DeRoux's Broux

Latest posts

Back