1st Batch - First Taste @ Bottle Week 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So Here are some pics of my first ever homebrew and some notes on my tasting.
It's a Brewers Best English Brown Extract with Specialty Grains Kit.
I brewed on Easter Sunday, I'm in the process of the 1-2-3 method.
SG = 1.046, FG 1.012
These are photos and taste observations of Bottle Condition week 2.
Decent little puff of co2 upon opening, wow nice head. Smells a ltlle sweet/fruity still. Not very clear but no real floaties, just a bit couldy hazy. Next time I'll use gelatin or irish moss. Tastes good, not very good or excellent, yet. Possibly a little thin. Head stayed around and laced nicely thought. Beer gets better with each sip. My therory is that at week 3 it will be very good progressing through excellent in weeks 4, 5, 6, gone.

Thanks to all you HBT guys (EAC's and non EAC's a like), I'm not saying I couldn't have done it without you, but i'm sure it wouldn't have been as good, and probably would have been thrown away in a n00b panic. Thanks guys and gals.

Carb Cloud.JPG

First Pour.JPG

a little hazy.JPG

lacing half through.JPG

Final Lacing.JPG

What I've always noticed is that beer keeps getting better with every sip.

Don't drink it all before you've given it a chance to age some, at least a month or two. Then it'll be much better.

That beer looks delicious man. Don't worry too much about the haziness. How did you cool down your wort? Did you secondary?

Congrats!

Looks like it's already fulled carbonated--put that beer in the fridge for about 2 weeks and I'd bet you anything it's nice and clear (just leave the last 1" in the bottle).

+1, it's probably hazy because you chilled it the same day you drank it. Even a few days in the cold will help precipitate the chill haze. 2 weeks will be better. Stash one in the back of the fridge for a month and you'll THINK you filtered it.

I'm definately going to hide a 6-er from myself. That beer in the photo was chilled for 48hrs. I'm sure some additional chill time would definately help to clear it. I also only left 1/8 - 1/4" in the bottom so that also probably contributed to the haze.
Question though, will chilling it pause or stall the aging process. I felt like it needed another week or 2 to help tone down some lingering sweetness, and balance it all out.

GreenwoodRover said:
I'm definately going to hide a 6-er from myself. That beer in the photo was chilled for 48hrs. I'm sure some additional chill time would definately help to clear it. I also only left 1/8 - 1/4" in the bottom so that also probably contributed to the haze.

You will be amazed at the clarity difference between a couple days and a couple weeks (or months).

GreenwoodRover said:
Question though, will chilling it pause or stall the aging process. I felt like it needed another week or 2 to help tone down some lingering sweetness, and balance it all out.

If it's carbonated then put it in the fridge. Chilling will only help the aging process.

Back