what BJCP category for an IRA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squiggy

Reaction score
I made an imperial red ale. I am going to enter it in the heart of the valley homebrew comp. in Eugene Oregon. I am not sure what BJCP category to enter it in. here is the recipe for 12.6 Gal.
Grain bill
21# Great western pale
3# Flaked barley
.6# honey malt
1# C-40
2.2# C75
3oz Carafa Spl 425L
Hop Bill
75 Grams Chinook @ 60min
51 Grams Chinook @ 10min
70 Grams Chinook @ flame out
28 Grams Chinook @ end of primary fermentation
OG 1.070
TG 1.017
About 65 IBUs with the rager phormula

You might need to put in 23. Specialty Beer and list it as an Imperial Red. It's too hoppy for a Scotch/Wee Heavy, and not enough for a barleywine. If it is drinkable and not too heavy, you might consider puting it in the American Amber catagory. 1.070 is not that far out of the 1.060 limit for the catagory. Try it in both.

Yep, 23 Specialty Beer is the category. That's an interesting looking recipe, but it isn't going to fit well into any classic style, unfortunately.

Chris_Dog said:
:off:

It is funny that Irish Red Ale has the same initials as the Irish Republican Army.

Chris - check out the label in my pics gallery for my IRA that I brewed awhile back. :off:

Back