Beersmith 2 - Adjusting Strike Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
Hey guys, long story short, I've got a new all grain setup that I've only used twice and I am still trying to get everything dialed in. On my second brew I was shooting for a mash temperature of 148 and only hit 143.5. Ouch. I went to the mash profile and adjusted the temperature for grain and for the mash tun temperature and after messing with it, I noticed that when I change the mash tun temperature, there is no affect on the strike water temperature. The grain temperature will affect the strike temperature though.

My question is, shouldn't the mash tun temperature change the strike temperature or am I missing something here? I'd rather adjust the temperatures than have to do an extra step and pre-heat my mash tun.

You need to check the "adjust temperature for equipment" box near the top of that window

You need to check the "adjust temperature for equipment" box near the top of that window

Oh man, your a genius! I looked right over it...about to tear my hair out. I knew there had to be something set wrong somewhere. Looks like that took care of the problem, thank a lot :mug:

haha no problem. I love beersmith but it isn't the most intuitive program in the world...

Whats your process? What type of equipment? When I use my 10 gallon rubbermade cooler I add the strike water to the cooler around 170 and let it get absorbed into the cooler. Then I wait until it cools a little and add the grain. If you are a little hot when you add the grain, add a little cold water. Its easier to cool the water than heating it.

Oh man, your a genius! I looked right over it...about to tear my hair out. I knew there had to be something set wrong somewhere. Looks like that took care of the problem, thank a lot :mug:

I did the exact same thing. The next day I was looking through beersmith and checked that box and was stoked in the fact that I learned something. Beer should be fine. Mashed a little longer at a lower temp.

I'm at work now, so I don't have the program in front of me. But I think it's at the top of the window on the "mash" tab, right below where you select the mash profile (ex. single infusion medium body, etc.)

Where is that box?

There's one in the Mash Profile tab...

bsmt_zps4dcb3d97.jpg

And one on the main Design page...

bsmt2_zpsc077875c.jpg

A good tip I read on these threads for hitting your target mash temp. is to start with a thick mash 0.75 to 1 liter per 1 lb. of grain. If you wanted 148, but only got 144, then add hot water to level out to 148. The mash ratio will thin out to 1.25-1.50 liters per 1 lb. of grain and your mash temp. will be reached. It's better to undershoot mash temp. with a thick mash and to add hot water vs. overshooting your target and having to add cold water, while over-thinning the mash, losing space for the additional water, and possibly slowly denaturing (or completely halting) certain enzymes with those initial overshot temps.

Here you go:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/do-not-fear-all-grain-brewing-primer-247631/

Whats your process? What type of equipment? When I use my 10 gallon rubbermade cooler I add the strike water to the cooler around 170 and let it get absorbed into the cooler. Then I wait until it cools a little and add the grain. If you are a little hot when you add the grain, add a little cold water. Its easier to cool the water than heating it.

I'm using a 15 gallon insulated stainless keg for my mash tun and a 15 gallon stainless keg for my HLT. I heat the water to strike temp in the HLT, open the valve to drain into mash tun, and then dough in. When I brewed my second batch it was a pretty cool day so I think it really impacted my mash temperature. I went back to my recipe and checked the "adjust for equipment" tab, entered the temperature for that day and it upped my strike water by about 5 degrees. I'm thinking this should solve my problem rather than having to pre-heat.

I just throw some water in the mash tun(igloo cooler) preheat for a few minutes. drain now you have some warm clean up water. Beer smith will hit correct temp just have to adjust grain temp and go

Back