Lager Got Hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
Hey guys got a question? So my Bock which was completely fermented got heated up to about 78-82 degrees for about a day...

Is this going to adversely effect the flavor of the beer?

The problem was I have a room in my basement that this time of year is pretty effective at staying 45-50 F, but I keep a heater in the room when it gets really cold to keep the temp right around 50....I was good for about 3 weeks, then I was going to try to get the temp up for a couple days for the diacetyl rest and instead of going up to like 65 it went to like 80!

So the yeast should have been done working I am just worried this might ruin it. Luckily I do 10 gallons and the other 5 was in a controlled temp mini fridge

Primary was done and you should be fine. I would let sit for a while before transfer and crash cool to clear it up. My lagers are in primary for 28 days minimum. Many will say that is too long but I don't care what they say I’m in no rush. I do 10 days @ 51 degrees check gravity, if @ 75% do D-rest or check again every 24-48 hours until 75%, D-rest for 24-48 hours, check gravity, once at terminal gravity I start a 36 hour cold crash to 34 degrees. Hold temp for up to 1 week and transfer to keg. When I brew the same beer as I have in the past I will use previous fermentation notes to determine when it should be at 75%, terminal and generally do not need to check gravity as often. On some lagers I skip the d-rest all together and @ 28 days check for terminal gravity cold crash and transfer.

Thanks for the reply Maxout...That is kinda what I was hoping to hear that since primary was done it should be ok....I also take my time on Lagers...Never finished one in less than a month

Latest posts

Back