what will this make. and how would it turn out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

city

Reaction score
OK so I'm new to Mead. Good at beer. So this is what I did for my second Mead.

2# raw honey from grocery store
I can concentrated OJ couldn't find grapefruit
1 cinnamon stick
1 clove
20 raisin
1 large grapefruit with skin
Ev-1118 yeast.
I did scrub the heck out the fruit. And poured some sanitary over it.
Just want to know if it was worth the start. Or something that's good to start a car LOL.thanks for any input

Oops. I forgot how I put it together LOL. OK so I mix the honey with some hot water. Mix that with the OJ poured it into a 1 gallon jug. Cut the grapefruit into tiny bits with skin. Put that in the jug filled the jug 3/4 with room temp water. Then shacked the hell out of it. Top it off at about 6 inches from top. Should have gave more room couse have needed a blow off tube for 3 days now. Pitch the yeast gave it a gental shack. It took off in about 2 hours. And the og was just at the blue line on heydrometer

The og was1.096. the line where the dessert wine starts. So I guessing its going to be sweet?

No. Forget those dumb colour band descriptions that are printed on some hydrometer scales, they're crap.

I predict that it'll most likely, given that you've said about using EC-1118, dry and not very nice.

Think about the JAO recipe and what happens when people replace the bread yeast with wine yeast ? The residual sugars get converted and the flavour gets focused on the bitterness from the orange pith i.e. its not a good dry recipe.

Grapefruit has an inherent bitterness to it which suggests your brew isn't likely to finish sweet. If you stabilised it and back sweetened it later you might manage to improve it.

I'm going to agree with fatbloke on this one. EC-1118 was NOT a good yeast choice. With an OG of 1.096, even D47 will go to dry (a 14% yeast).

I have to wonder what you made for your first and where you came up with the recipe for the second. I made ONE fruit mead/melomel (part of my initial batches in 2010) and have been making either traditionals or flavored (not with fruit) meads since. I have one that will be my Mocha Madness II, and I bottled up my maple mead earlier this week. Otherwise, I'm normally just sticking with the honey for flavor, and sugars to ferment.

IMO/IME, while mead is not difficult in process, it's easy to over-complicate the recipe and make something that you don't like/enjoy. IMO, the KISS method works best. Same as "less is more" where you use less ingredients so that those you DO use can really shine. I start with really great local/regional wildflower honey for my traditionals. For ones I will add a lot of flavor to (like the mocha madness) I don't care so much about the honey. Mostly due to the other flavor elements overpowering the honey flavors.

Also, I've found it better to add fruit additions post fermentation. That way you don't just blow them out the airlock.

With this batch, see how it is in a few months. Chances are it will be bone dry and not taste like much. At that point, decide if you want to salvage it, or toss it and start over.

Oh, and do yourself a HUGE favor and read up on the Got Mead? site and forums. You'll find a TON of information there, from people who have been making mead for many, many, many years. More than a few award winners in the bunch. A great many of which will not heat their mead/must above 100-110F these days. Not necessary, and you'll actually get a better product (flavors and aromas) if you don't.

I did the easy grape one. I think it was Joe's. As on how I got this together. It was just a attempt to do a grapefruit one. Haven't seen it on here.
I did figure I'd have to back sweeten it . Just didn't want it to sweet. The gf likes dry wine. Ill keep a update on this. And thanks for the links. Should help a lot

Some fruit just isn't suited to mead making.....ok to a decent resulting flavour after fermentation.

I'd have thought that an aged, oaked traditional dry mead might be one that your gf might like. Though you may have to experiment with varietal honies from different sources to make one that "hits the spot"....

Here's what it looks like sofare . And I forgot to mention. I used pink grapefruit

ForumRunner_20130111_163754.png

Back