Advice on a tower for my first kegorator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got an EdgeStar BR2000BL, so I now have everything to setup my kegorator except for a two tap tower.

I'd been looking at one on Amazon that is well rated (but by only six reviewers) that sells for around $110 with shipping. It says stainless steel, but based on the picture it looks like the faucets are chrome. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048CDUBC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

While researching towers, I keep seeing references to Perlick (often saying they are the best). I came across a site called HomeBrewStuff.com, that has an option to build your own tower. Their double tap tower starts at $99.99 for one that's all chrome, and goes up from there. You can upgrade the tower to stainless steel for $35. There are various faucet upgrades, including Perlick 525 stainless steel for $54 (for the pair). And I can upgrade the connectors to pin lock (for my kegs), for $11. Adding all those upgrades raises the price of the tower to $200. I could save $20 by going to an unnamed brand of stainless steel faucet instead of the Perlick.

It sounds like the taps and tower are one of, if not the most important parts of the kegorator. I want something of good quality that I'll be happy with, but obviously I don't want to waste money either.

So, I am interested in hearing any and all advice on this purchase, or any other tower recommendations you may have.

Thanks as always for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a keezer (with no tower), but it seems to me that faucet material/construction is much more important than tower material/construction. As long as the tower holds the faucets, it's functional, anything beyond that is aesthetics. Faucet design (forward sealing like a Perlick) and material (stainless vs. chromed brass) will have a big effect on function and durability.

Definitely get Perlicks, even if it's just the chrome model. It's been said many times before, but the Perlicks will be the last faucet you buy. If you don't buy them now, you will eventually. Cheap rear-sealing faucets will stick, break, grow mold, get gunk in them, etc. Unless you want to clean the faucet every night, get the Perlicks.

Also remember to support our sponsors! Birdman and Kegconnection are two very reputable suppliers.

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/premi...tower-stainless-double-perlick-525ss-faucets/

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=522

Remember you probably want to lengthen the beverage line to 10 feet to avoid foamy pours. Maybe they can do that for you if you call and ask? Also look into tower cooling options (fan or copper heatsink) or your first pour will always be foamy.

Remember you probably want to lengthen the beverage line to 10 feet to avoid foamy pours. Maybe they can do that for you if you call and ask?

Is that pretty standard to go with 10 foot beer lines? It seems odd to me that all the towers seem to have 5 foot lines. I wouldn't think 5 extra foot of tubing would add much to the price.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I'll probably go with the stainless steel tower and Perlick faucets.

Yeah most people go 8-12 feet. You can always cut them down if the pour is too slow, but 10 should be fine! A slow pour is better than a foamy pour any day.

It's quite a mystery why all the homebrew kegerator kits come with 5 feet of tubing. 5 feet may work in a bar with ice cold beer and a high flow rate, but for a homebrew setting it's not enough restriction.

I bought the 3-faucet version of this tower, and I would definitely recommend spending the extra $20 for Perlicks. They don't "stick" like standard faucets, meaning you don't have to jerk the handle for the first pour.

The tower came with line and commercial connectors, so you'll need to cut them off and add on some pin lock connectors.

It's also possible to get the Perlicks for not a whole lot more than the link you posted, although it won't support the site sponsors (and only seems to contain the line, tower, and faucets, and they are chrome):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AFOKSO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm not sure what the hose length is for this tower, but I have no problem with foam using the stock hoses.

Is that pretty standard to go with 10 foot beer lines? It seems odd to me that all the towers seem to have 5 foot lines. I wouldn't think 5 extra foot of tubing would add much to the price.

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I'll probably go with the stainless steel tower and Perlick faucets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back