looking for critique in Portland area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to see if muddy rudder will reserve a table for us. And ill probably be wearing a Ducks jacket. Sounds awesome.

I am assuming the establishment is OK with us bringing in our samples but I gotta ask, do we just bring our bottles in with us?

I doubt it on the bottles. Just gonna have mine in the trunk and pass them out

Yeah, we can't bring samples in the bar. But, I figured we'd have a couple and meet/greet then exchange as we leave. Hoping we can use the BJCP score sheets for feed back on the various samples we give each other.

Should be fun. figured we'd also try to plan another date a couple months out for another meet. maybe pick some guidelines for the next one too. :)

testing as i fill them... haha. but! they are all filled and ready to roll

2012-04-19_21-17-32_673.jpg

and fletch, i'm loving the idea! if we do this and all have some fun, we can just start having brew days and such. or at least monthly or so get togethers to exchange and just shoot the ****.

i'll have to be outta there by about 7 or so, have a movie night at my place that SWMBO wanted to put on lol, but a few hours should be good!

i'd have to speak with SWMBO, but i doubt she'd care in the warmer weather if we have some sort of a gathering in my backyard, that way we can bring growlers and i'll have my taps flowing.

testing as i fill them... haha. but! they are all filled and ready to roll

2012-04-19_21-17-32_673.jpg

and fletch, i'm loving the idea! if we do this and all have some fun, we can just start having brew days and such. or at least monthly or so get togethers to exchange and just shoot the ****.

i'll have to be outta there by about 7 or so, have a movie night at my place that SWMBO wanted to put on lol, but a few hours should be good!

i'd have to speak with SWMBO, but i doubt she'd care in the warmer weather if we have some sort of a gathering in my backyard, that way we can bring growlers and i'll have my taps flowing.

Oh yeah, any event where the words "growlers" and "taps" are incorporated can only mean good times:ban:

KevinW said:
Oh yeah, any event where the words "growlers" and "taps" are incorporated can only mean good times:ban:

Indeed good sir. Indeed! Ill be there a touch after 3p. Ill be wearing a green and black plaid hoodie and a mario hat... yes, im a nerd... haha and i have a beard

fletchsj said:
It's Friday... Um today is the 20th. The meet is tomorrow at 3. Sorry man...

Well why the hell was i thinking today?? Whoops! Lol!

Well that was a blast! Thanks everyone for coming out and for the beers! Next date is in june? I think the 23rd?
And dark farmhouse ale?

And swmbo said next gathering should be here at our place

Well the group met went fantastically if I do say so myself! We got lucky with timing at the end! Ha ha ha! Thanks to Rivenin, KevinW, Lamminis, Dustin, and Fletchsj for coming out!

as far as the next meeting... I was proposed that we meet at Rivenin's place. We also tentatively decided on a style for Dark Farmhouse/saison style for the next meeting on June 23rd.

These can change if anyone has issues with this. let's just try to decide on a style by the end of the week so we can give us enough time with this style. Again thanks for coming out it was good fun!

Rivenin if you could send out PM's to all the folks so we can get your address. and have a great sunday folks!

fletchsj said:
Well the group met went fantastically if I do say so myself! We got lucky with timing at the end! Ha ha ha! Thanks to Rivenin, KevinW, Lamminis, Dustin, and Fletchsj for coming out!

as far as the next meeting... I was proposed that we meet at Rivenin's place. We also tentatively decided on a style for Dark Farmhouse/saison style for the next meeting on June 23rd.

These can change if anyone has issues with this. let's just try to decide on a style by the end of the week so we can give us enough time with this style. Again thanks for coming out it was good fun!

Rivenin if you could send out PM's to all the folks so we can get your address. and have a great sunday folks!

Ill agree there! And i ended up buying new patio furniture today so im out in the back sipping on fletchs honey ale. So needed after today! So we have seating for the meet if we decide at my place. Swmbo enjoyed it as well too! Ill send out the pms with my address tomorrow when im back at work.

Also. Ive never done a farmhouse ale so im completely down with it! Let me stretch my experemental legs into it.

Oh yeah!

I think I used Wyeast Farmhouse Ale yeast for my Saison so I am gonna try to find it for this one!

I fermented at 68° and still scored a 35, can't imagine what I would have scored if fermented at 73-74°ish!!

Been lookin at that midnight wheat for color and trying to avoid roastiness. Hoping for something that fits to catagory but completly wrong color ha ha. Maybe...

hrm... gonna go looking for a farmhousey yeast, if all else fails may just end up using a saison one

this one is showing april - june as well (Wyeast guy here lol)

Wyeast 3725-PC Biere de Garde Yeast
Beer Styles: Saison, Biere de Garde, Belgian Blonde Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Profile: Low to moderate ester production with subtle spiciness. Malty and full on the palate with initial sweetness. Finishes dry and slightly tart. Ferments well with no sluggishness.
Alc. Tolerance 12% ABV
Flocculation low
Attenuation 74-79%
Temp. Range 70-84°F (21-29°C)

edit, just looked up the WL one, that one looks way betta. but the temp swings of 4 degrees on a belgain yeast scare me.... lol

Brew bros has the biere de garde and are ordering the WL670 for me. I'm not too worried. I'm going to ferment at 75-85. Like that it has brett in it as well.

I just bought a place in Beaverton and move out on June 25th. What's the status of the group? I will be brewing as soon as I unpack and getting two primaries set up.

so far the meeting went really really well. we're fermenting a dark/black saison currently and will be tasting that at the next meeting at my place.

ah, and you'll be here right after the next one. and in a few weeks, WELCOME TO OREGON! :)

Thanks! I'll keep lurking here in this thread and brew up whatever's on the list for July/August and hope you all are still meeting by then.

Thanks! I'll keep lurking here in this thread and brew up whatever's on the list for July/August and hope you all are still meeting by then.

We'd love to have another member! I'm sure we'll be meeting again :)

Since you'll be in Beaverton, You'll have to check out Brew Brothers! Chris and the Family are awesome and the selection is Amazing!

On to beer: Just pulled a sample of the Plum Beer... I was worried and actually tossed in another vial of yeast cause I hadn't seen airlock activity since adding the fruit and juice. But... all in all not too bad! it's lighter than I expected! I really figured the amount of black malt I tossed in it would be darker. It's more of a purple/rust color Saison hmph.

As for the other 5gal. I figured I'd try using the peach flavoring. so we'll have a peach Saison and a plum Saison for the June Meet!

In addition, this Monday, we are going to be breaking in my buddies 15gal stainless heated/cooled conical! here's the recipe:
http://hopville.com/recipe/1391907/american-ipa-recipes/burton-ryepa

Hope everyone else's beer is doing well!

i took a small sample not too long back, should do another one tonight but it's gonna be another busy day :( ah well, more time ain't gonna hurt it :)

and deff check out brew brothers, awesome store! i wish i could make it out there more, but i'm out in clackamas and it's right around a 45 or so minute drive.

last time i went, i got 2 recipes, and i think they were under $17 each, thats with liquid yeast for both, and a touch over 1/2lb of hops. so heres another vote for them!

Back from the Dead! Next Beer will be a smash of 10lbs golden promise, 1056/wlp001/s05 @ 1oz 60 .5 oz @ 15 and .5 oz FO, and an obscure hop of your choosing (the stranger and less common the better. Date of tasting TBD. Happy Brewing!

Back