oak barrell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloater

Reaction score
Hi there,
Im looking for any advice as to how I can clean my old oak cider barrel, formerly used as a whisky barrel. Im currently using mine as a cold food smoker but the cider is tainting the flavour of the food. If all else fails ill be back on here asking for cider making recipies.
cheers

Odds are slim that you would be able to rid the barrel of the odors. Those smells are deeply soaked into the wood by this point. You could try filling the barrel with water and soaking the smell out. Drain then repeat.

I see they sell new 5 gallon oak barrels. anybody use them..... apparently the come semi burnt on the inside . I bet if you could re -torch it on the inside (pour some hot charcoal in the and swish them around), that would help . Or how would you get a small torch in there ? Maybe ferment somthing in there then dump it those yeasties would deoderize it . Just thinking

Back