Wheat Beer not cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Hello, Just cracked open a honey wheat I made to commemorate my upcoming anniversary. This is my first wheat and while I thought it tasted pretty good I noticed it was not cloudy but pretty clear (not all the way through clear).

Not that traditional cloudy wheat look.

I used WYeast 1010 American Wheat yeast. and all wheat dme.

3.0 lb (46.2%) Dry Wheat
1.0 lb (15.4%) Dry Wheat
0.5 lb (7.7%) Carahell®
0.5 lb (7.7%) Honey Malt
1.5 lb (23.1%) Honey
1.0 oz (100.0%) Tettnanger (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 35.0 min

Almost tasted and looked Lager like:confused:

Cloudy wheat beers are cloudy because of suspended yeast or starch haze. If you'd rather not drink the yeast, a tablespoon of flour per 5 gal batch will keep the beer somewhat hazy as well

Cloudy wheat beers are cloudy because of suspended yeast or starch haze. If you'd rather not drink the yeast, a tablespoon of flour per 5 gal batch will keep the beer somewhat hazy as well

I don't mind drinking the suspended yeast I thought you weren't supposed to.

Gonna try and see what happens

Daver77 said:
I don't mind drinking the suspended yeast I thought you weren't supposed to.

If it upsets your stomach then don't drink it. Otherwise, it is good for you. Lots of vitamins.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

The Germans make a clear wheat beer. I think it's kellerweize. I saw it on germanbeerinstitute.com under style descriptions.

Union, I think you're referring to krystallweissen, and this is basically a heffeweissen with the yeast filtered out so the beer is clear. Still very tasty. If it were my beer, I'd keep it clear unless you wanted the yeast character, but 1010 american wheat isn't supposed to contribute anything to the flavor, so I wouldn't suspend the yeast before drinking unless it was like 3068 which has more flavor characteristics than 1010.

I agree with the Tbsp of flour in a 5 gal batch, I do this to my kegged beer so I get the look of a hefe, without needing to jostle the keg.

Back