Reusing oak cubes???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally bottled up my Port Barrel Aged Brown Belgian tonight, and I have the oak cubes left over. I thought about tossing them, but then I thought, maybe these would be good for a future brew someday.

For this brew I soaked the cubes in port for a week before tossing them into the secondary, where the beer sat for 4 months which may have been a bit long as it is very oaky now, so this one will probably sit for a few months before I start drinking(got the recipe from extreme brewing which hasn't let me down yet which recommended 4 months on the cubes.).

Anyway, I'm now thinking that those little oak cubes are now full of port and beer flavors, which might make for an interesting addition to some future brew I haven't thought of yet. Is there any reason not to reuse them, and has anyone reused oak cubes with any luck?

I've reused oak cubes, after drying. I steamed them before I put them into another beer, just to be safe.

I think port and beer flavors aside, one major thing is that unless you sterilize prior to their next use, you're potentially going to get a yeast carryover - which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you plan for it.

Back