Premium Membership Worth It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, its so you can have access to those forums, and see just how many internet tough guys there are out there that think they are the only right ones in the bunch. Then just when they are losing, they cry and say "this will be my last post"

There are some other benefits though, no advertising!

I don't get much advertising when logged in. Just the 1 banner ad at the top. That doesn't bother me so much.

I deal with enough internet tough guys on my other discussion boards. Why should it cost me $20 to own the tough guys here?

And by "those forums" you mean "that forum", the only one that non-prems can't see?

zsdgadfghsdfg

if1zsj.jpg

Fletch, the number one reason to become a premium member is to support the ongoing upkeep and operation of the forum. If you find it helpful, if you use it, and if $25 isn't too much for your situation, then I say you should take the leap and become a premium member.

Plus there's the secret handshake, but I've said too much already . . .

Hmmm - beyond access to the super secret forums - I'll tell you that one time I was one of many people jumping at a guy's offer to sell some equipment on the Classified's.

He chose to sell to me - simply because he figured if I was a paying member of the site, I wasn't going to stiff him for payment.

Membership has its benefits :)

Fletch, the number one reason to become a premium member is to support the ongoing upkeep and operation of the forum. If you find it helpful, if you use it, and if $25 isn't too much for your situation, then I say you should take the leap and become a premium member.

Plus there's the secret handshake, but I've said too much already . . .

What Pappers said. I've saved more by learning from this site than I'll ever pay in membership fees. Least I can do is become a paying member.

I bought a membership to help support the web hosting and maintenance of the site.

I've worked in the tech industry for more than 10 years and I know that it's a pain in the ass to deal with finding web hosting (that someone has to pay for) and give up your free time to deal with site maintenance.

It was just a nice gesture.

I really didn't do it for getting rid of ads, or being able to see "secret" forums.

Almost 100% of my brewing knowledge stemmed in some way from this site, for that reason alone I became a premium member, in fact I payed for 1 year instead of lifetime membership because I am willing to give that 20 dollars yearly to help support this vast trove knowledge.

if its all for supporting the site and the not the perks like the above mentions....dont you think it should all be free but donations encouraged

if its all for supporting the site and the not the perks like the above mentions....dont you think it should all be free but donations encouraged

No, I'm a member that supports the site, but that doesn't mean I don't like being recognized for my support.

With premium membership, is there a forum where I can say the F word?

No I think the forum automatically sensors no matter where you post. Not 100% sure.

I agree with everyone above. I like hanging out here, and really don't mind paying a little to help keep the site going. I like how some people think its a scam, or compulsory. Its neither. If you don't feel like it, we still treat you the same. Its all good either way. Its nice having access to the other forums, but honestly I don't use them THAT much. Avatar is always good. You also get a lot more PM space, which is probably the nicest thing, esp when involved in multiple swaps.

Man, you know how much money I spend on beer and beer related materials? It is my duty give $25 to the site that's responsible for it.

The way I see it, its like paying club dues. I belong to a brew club locally, pay an annual fee, get a free t-shirt and info on all sorts of awesome beer stuff and a discount on the annual bus trip/brewery tour.

Premium 'club' members get perks like a bigger inbox, avatar, additional forums, a nifty decal in the mail, and a reach around from Revvy.

:)

I became a paying member after I realized a simple fact.

All the brewing knowledge I learned here in my first 6 months was worth far more than $100. Think about how much you've learned and what it's saved you in bad beer alone.

Now go make the donation. It's sitting in your paypal accound collecting dust anyhow.

And yes, I have received a ban for talking about ______ ________ _____ ___ __ and ___.

But you still gotta PM Tex for access to certain places.

B

I have heard of some of the pettiest reasons for not paying.

'Tex sent me a reminder my subscription was running out, so I'm not going to pay just because he pissed me off.'

Do whatever you want, but I'm not sorry and money is not easy anymore.

It's twenty bucks to get your feet wet or you can pay once; I figured I was in Homebrewing for the rest of my life, so I just anti-upped and bought the Lifetime. Do you realize I never have to delete a PM here for rest of my life?

I have heard of some of the pettiest reasons for not paying.

'Tex sent me a reminder my subscription was running out, so I'm not going to pay just because he pissed me off.'

Do whatever you want, but I'm not sorry and money is not easy anymore.

It's twenty bucks to get your feet wet or you can pay once; I figured I was in Homebrewing for the rest of my life, so I just anti-upped and bought the Lifetime. Do you realize I never have to delete a PM here for rest of my life?

You sir, are correct. I know money is tight for a lot of folks. Well, if you can't support, then don't - but don't f'ing ***** about it....

:mug:

Nothing much to add here, I feel like it's worth more than what I pay for the knowledge I have gotten from here. It takes a lot to run a website and the least I can do is show my support. And the super secret handshake and the decoder ring really make me feel like a kid again. :)

Back