So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finishing the post-boil chill of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Next week, the Hazelnut Brown I've been contemplating for the last month.

Doing the AB Clone again on Saturday and Yoops squirrel nut brown on Sunday. Tomorrow I am going to play with the refractometer I am hopefully getting. I need to check the gravity of a few brews in the fermenter

Using my Barley crusher for the first time and making a Canadian Ale that was coneverted from an extract kit to AG.
ToBrew

I received my Trappist Quadrupel and Cream Ale kits pretty quickly, thanks AHS! So, I'm hoping to do one of those on Sunday.

My daughter is home for the holidays and we will be brewing an Australian Sparkling Ale this afternoon using Papazian's "Fair Dinkum Sparkling Aussie Ale" recipe. This is a straight forward recipe and as I am a beginner I am going to keep brewing it until I fully understand it and the brewing process. I have a batch in the fermenter now, and this will be my second batch. Wish us luck!

Racked Vienna lager to secondary and stuck it in the garage storage.

Now time for my Belgian Wit, with bottle harvested Hoegaarden yeast, which I will be pitching at high krausen as it stands.

Heating strike water now!

Dry roasted the coriander and grains of paradise, and crushed them in my pestle.

I get to break in my official Mike "I hate Howard (on HBT)" Pipper wooden mash paddle for the first time today!

Just finished up transferring a West Coast IPA, into my brand new conical fermenter. I'm using the Stone IPA clone from BYO.

Brewed 20 gallons of Pale Ale yesterday. A friend from Redding came down and wanted to see how it's done so we brewed.

Just cleaning up from a batch of brown porter - Graham Wheeler's recipe for a London porter with Orfy's hop additions/schedule. My washed Thames Valley yeast smelled like death, so I made a starter with some Scottish ale yeast that I had just washed.

SWMBO told me that pressed apple juice is on sale at the hippie co-op down the road, so a 6 gal. batch of cider is a distinct possiblity for later in the week.

Did a thrown together Pale Ale recipe today before I head on a visit to Grandma's this week. My original recipe was suppose to be a Sweetwater PA clone, but did not have all the grain required. Hopefully it will be reasonable.

FYI, My first AG recipe was bottle and hit the right age point last week... turned out awesome. I'm stoked that my homebrew is more enticing than half of what's offered at the store. I also did a Stone IPA clone a few weeks ago and it will be very good from my first taste yesterday, 1 week after bottling. At any rate, it was nice to brew today with a homebrew in hand. The processes is much more efficient than my first try a couple of months ago.

9 lb two row
1 lb munich light
1 lb Dex malt
.4 lb wheat malt
1 oz Nugget 60
1.5 Cascade 30
0.5 Cascade 5

OG was 1.062
FG should be 1.012

Fed Ex permitting I'll be brewing next Sunday DragonTail's Ginger Ale. That is also assuming I can get to the market and buy some Ginger.

Whew, just got done brewing my Trappist Quad kit from AHS. Talk about sweet sweet wort. Now I'm relaxing with one of my Orange Hefeweizens.

Brewed another batch of Orfy's 'Old Speckled Hen' clone. Put it on a WLP001 yeast cake from the Ursa's Vanilla Porter (Dry Dock Brewery recipe) and used molasses instead of Lyle's Golden Syrup.

It's fermenting more actively than any batch I've brewed up to this point. I'm hoping that the molasses works alright...it's a no-sulfur molasses and isn't black-strap molasses, so I'm not too worried.

I'm doing a double brew day right now, waiting for the second boil to pick up. AHS Karankawa Pale Ale and AHS Bavarian Dunkelweizen

I'm finishing up my first batch (an Arrogant Bastard-inspired strong ale) using the free trial of BeerSmith--I LOVE using it! It was so easy to adjust the grains and hops to my current inventory.

There goes another 22 bucks...

Last night did the Killer Bee Belgian Wit from z987k

Or attempted the KBBWit

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f71/killer-bee-belgian-wit-73278/

Substituted Amber Malt Extract for the Cane Sugar
Ommited the flour He was going for haze to stay for a month (my ten gallons gets drank so fast, a month down the road...you have to remind me what was on tap)
I changed the mash schedule (as I needed to get to bed at some point) 155 / 60 min<> 170 sparge.

Also moved my New Castle All Grain (perfect recipe!) to a corny keg, after taking it all apart for the first time. Also tore down two of my Perlik faucets and cleaned them up for the first time. I was pretty buzzed but I think I got all of them together correctly. Pretty productive night.

I helped my buddy make a Belgian Abbey yesterday creekside in the snow.
collier01.jpg

Even cooled the wort in the cold creek since the hoses were all frozen. It took around 15 minutes to cool 10 gallons.

collier02.jpg

It might not be the weekend, but I've got the AHS American IPA I mashing now. Just downloaded beersmith today too, so I have that to play with while I wait. Gonna be a good night!

I think thursday is gonna be a back to back brew day for me. Down to half a keg or so of mild on tap. Two empty taps :(

SNPA Clone (with victory)

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00 Wort Size (Gal): 11.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 23.50
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.76
Anticipated SRM: 9.8
Anticipated IBU: 39.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.1 0.50 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25
89.4 21.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
8.5 2.00 lbs. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.75 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.10 21.4 60 min.
1.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.80 13.0 30 min.
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.30 5.5 10 min.
4.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.30 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 10 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast US-05 SafAle American Ale

Waldo Lake Amber

Batch Size (Gal): 12.00 Wort Size (Gal): 12.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 27.50
Anticipated OG: 1.062 Plato: 15.11
Anticipated SRM: 11.4
Anticipated IBU: 42.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
29.1 8.00 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8
14.5 4.00 lbs. Carared Germany 1.036 24
52.7 14.50 lbs. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 3
3.6 1.00 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
2.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 4.20 7.1 First WH
1.40 oz. Magnum Pellet 13.10 35.6 60 min.
2.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Plug 9.60 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.30 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 10 Min.(boil)

I received my ingredients from AustinHomeBrew.com today that I bought with my Christmas gift certificate.

I'm making:

BierMunchers Cream Ale
Ed's Haus Ale
OFlannigans Stout.

I believe tomorrow I'll be making BierMunchers Cream Ale.

Think I'll have to do a mild on Thursday. Just bought a bag of MO from LHBS and need to break it in on something.

Anybody got any really good Mild recipes they can recommend?

Pliny the elder this weekend.

I love the creek side brewing pic's...Now don't take this wrong but it looks like hillbilly heaven !

Pat

Latest posts

Back