Snow sucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
How much does everyone in the Mid-Atlantic have on the ground? When all is said and done we are supposed to have over 2 feet. I took these pictures almost 4 hours ago and there is a bunch more since then. That is a 20" level in those pictures.

levelsteps.jpg

levelondriveway.jpg

inside21.jpg

inside11.jpg

Backdoor.JPG

Bout 2 feet in NoVA... Was planning on brewing but neglected to bring the hose in to thaw. I guess there is always tomorrow, since I sure cant go anywhere. Hose is thawing, now what to brew?

Data, those pics remind me of the President's Day storm in 2003... I was living in Christiana at the time (Riverwalk development off Walther Rd.). We had 24 inches. It was a state of emergency (against law to drive), so we walked 2 miles to Stewart's Brewing Co. for beer and had a hell of a night.

Here in Harrisburg right now we have about 8 inches and it's still coming.

I know exactly where you are talking about. I live right behind stewarts. I remember that storm. I was still in HS and my friends parents were out of town so he had a huge party. 4 of us spent the night and woke up to a ****-ton of snow. We were in the middle of nowhere in cecil county and were stranded their for 5 or 6 days. It was certainly an experience. We ran out of food on day 3 but the alcohol made it the whole week. Thats when we discovered beersicles.

I love the snow. I grew up in PA where we got plenty of snow. I remember walking to the school bus stop in single digit temps with high winds blowing snow on my blistering face... you know, up hill both ways.;) Snow gives excitement to winter. Most winters down here in So. Delaware are just cold and gray/dark and the usual precipitation is cold rain. Snow is relatively rare.

We should have 16 to 20 inches by morning. I'll post back tomorrow after shoveling out my driveway... about how much I hate snow. :cross:

Only 2" here in Southern Germany right now but damn cold. :) Would love to have 2' of snow.

@dataz
Clean that stuff up a bit and everything is good :D

No problem with snow. It's the snow, ice, snow, ice, snow, ice over a 4' pile of branches in the driveway that I find disturbing. But that was last year and it's 52F out there at 6:30 a.m.

The weather-guessers are saying maybe snow on the 26th.

Consider me jealous...

After growing up in New York and spending the five previous years in Minneapolis, I've been in California for about 3 1/2 years, and I miss the snow more than anything. It's insane that people here walk around with hats, gloves, and winter coats when it hits 50 degrees.

Just an update to my earlier post, I just came in from snow-blowing the driveway. The POS Craftsman snowblower, held together with duct tape and bubblegum, managed to clean my driveway. It's now 2:00 pm, and still snowing.

Oh, BTW we have 15-16 inches so far.

20" here as well. Driving home from work at 5am yesterday morning was a real treat; normally takes me 75 mins, took me 3 hours. Lots of fun watching my 90 pound Lab mix bunny-hop around in it though. :D

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

I just got in from shoveling the driveway. We have a tiny tiny driveway that barely hold 2 cars and I still spent over 3 hours and still didn't finish it. Once my arms pretty much stopped working I gave up.

We got less than 2" here in Suburban Detroit. The sun came out today and I can see most of my grass. I miss Yorktown VA quite a bit. We only got snow once the 5 years we lived there. When it did snow that time we had to shake off all of the holly bushes so they wouldn't break. I really hate winter.....

Yeah 22" here in Northern Virginia. Try "shoveling" out your car with a sled. Home depot ran out of shovels before we could get one. People were leaving the store with 4-5 likely selling them. I expect the second car to remain buried for thru christmas.

It was around 21" here. I shoveled around 10" off my driveway yesterday and then did the rest this morning. It wasn't too bad.

data saw my thread and had to outdo it! lame :p

so what did you brew in the snow? ADX what you brewing since the gov is shut down tomorrow!`

Yeah 22" here in Northern Virginia. Try "shoveling" out your car with a sled. Home depot ran out of shovels before we could get one. People were leaving the store with 4-5 likely selling them. I expect the second car to remain buried for thru christmas.

I had to use a 5 gallon HD bucket to free my car... I live in a big highrise condo (around 1,000 residents) so needless to say our parking lot is quite large. Snow plow came through and plowed the lot, effectively plowing in all the cars. Thankfully my little SUV is AWD so I was able to get out without much of a hassle. One of our more 'considerate' neighbors decided to dig out their car and pile all their snow behind SWMBO's car, I used some choice four letter words when I saw that one.... Mercifully, some friends of ours had an extra shovel that they let me borrow so I was able to free her car as well.

Damn, I think we got more snow and about 6-8 hours after it stopped most of the roads were fine.

In downingtown pa here, Measured on the deck today, and it was 19 inches. Had to shovel three times yesterday. I should get a snowblower.

The DC metro is one of the better systems in the US. Goes far enough out into the 'burbs to be useful.

Unlike the Portland MAX, that doesn't go much of anywhere, but is great for getting around the city.

The DC metro is one of the better systems in the US. Goes far enough out into the 'burbs to be useful.

Unlike the Portland MAX, that doesn't go much of anywhere, but is great for getting around the city.

funny, I would disagree with you for the exat reason, it doesnt make it far enough into the burbs to be useful, and it doesnt run often enough, doesnt go enough places.....i guess it may be one of the best in the country, but thats awfully sad!

I had to use a 5 gallon HD bucket to free my car... I live in a big highrise condo (around 1,000 residents) so needless to say our parking lot is quite large. Snow plow came through and plowed the lot, effectively plowing in all the cars. Thankfully my little SUV is AWD so I was able to get out without much of a hassle. One of our more 'considerate' neighbors decided to dig out their car and pile all their snow behind SWMBO's car, I used some choice four letter words when I saw that one.... Mercifully, some friends of ours had an extra shovel that they let me borrow so I was able to free her car as well.

Sounds like this guy doesn't know how to plow. He should be able to clear the lot without hardly adding anything around the cars. Likely he was just in a hurry.

We have 2 4x4s. The worst part for me is deciding whether or not to even snowblow. I could get by without, but then the wheels will create a thick icy patch that is hard to remove. Eventually forming large bumps when I shovel the rest. I try to blow it out before we drive on it.

data saw my thread and had to outdo it! lame :p

so what did you brew in the snow? ADX what you brewing since the gov is shut down tomorrow!`

I had to work today. It wasn't that bad, but the county made my street worse by plowing it.

The reason why the government had off was because the Metro was shutdown until late last night. If it wasn't for that I'm sure the government would have been open. I'm usually one of the first to laugh at people around here, but 20"+ in <24 hours is a damn lot of snow. I'm really surprised how well most of the roads where this morning.

In my opinion, Hell may include fire and brimstone, but it also may consist of layers of ice and wind-blown depths of snow, chilling everything that ventures into its nefarious grasp.

In other words, I'm fat and I hate hot weather, much preferring cooler temps. But I also hate commutes that take triple the amount of normal time.

Latest posts

Back