will this work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernme

Reaction score
Im new to brewing only 3 batches under my belt but wanted to go out on a limb and come up with somthing of my own and I was wondering if this combonation will work or is it too high of gravity

6lbs light malt extract
3lbs honey
8oz. rice solids
1 lb flaked corn
2oz of cascade
it comes out to 1.076
I plan on using cali lager yeast 2112
and I was wondering if I should add yeast energizer to help things along from the start any help or opions would be great ..I'l like to get fg down to a 1.014 or so

Forget about the flaked corn, you'll need to mash that if you're intending to use it, its not the right kind of ingredient for an extract batch.

Might as well leave out the 8oz of rice solids too, thats useful for adding some gravity but it won't add anything else and your gravity is already plenty high enough without it.

Other than that, 6#s light malt extract and 3#s of honey with 2oz of cascade, what you've got left is practically "Rocky Raccoon's Honey Lager" from Charlie Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing". I've brewed it several times and its really good, you'll like it.

Good call on the cali-lager yeast, that will turn out great.

any thoughts on the energizer since im using so much honey?

Back