Things I Have Learned From HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbg96

Reaction score
Two batches in, a lot of review of this board, advice from good folks, and whatnot. The main points - some maybe a little redundant - I'm coming away with right now are:

1) Patience is a definite virtue. With beer, the passage of time is your friend. This applies to both fermenting and bottle conditioning.

2) Secondaries are not necessarily necessary. Fear not leaving things in the primary on the yeast cake for three weeks. The beer will not go bad, suspended stuff will settle out. For basic beer that doesn't involve late additions of stuff like fruit, etc, it doesn't seem to me that there's a need to rack to a secondary if you are just willing to let it sit in the primary long enough.

3) Fermentation can start a couple days after you pitch your yeast. No need to panic if the airlock is not bubbling right away or even a day after you pitch.

4) Yeast washing is easy to do. Check out the appropriate illustrated thread.

5) Dextrose is a must for bottle conditioning. Try substitutes at your peril.

6) Says-it.com plus any basic program from MS Paint on up will equal cool labels.

7) On labels, print on a color printer, copy on a color copier, cut 'em out. Put 'em on with the milk method. Remove by saturating the label with water, giving it a few minutes, then peel-slide it off. Easy on, easy off. Cheap and effective.

8) Star-san is your friend and very much worth the money.

9) Star-san in a spray bottle is bliss as far as ease of use and getting and keeping things sanitized.

10) My extremely basic set up cost me about $100 all told if that. I have a five gallon plastic bottling bucket, a six gallon plastic fermenting bucket with a little tap thingy at the bottom, a six foot length of clear tubing, a three piece airlock, a wing capper, a hydrometer, a container of star-san, a spray bottle, a 20 quart wort-cookin' pot for boiling, and that's pretty much it. Add ingredients and dang if I can't make good beer. The point - you can get very elaborate with the hobby, but you can also be very basic and get good results.

There's more to learn obviously but for a noob with limited gear, the big point I've come away with is the basics of brewing good beer are actually fairly easy. :mug:

If you've learned all that after only doing 2 batches then you are well on your way. I wish I knew that much 2 batches into brewing!

Brew on! :mug:

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with F.........A Future Revvy!!! :D

Man, you read good advice well. All power to you! :)

11.) What the search button is for (but ironically not how to use it).

12.) That while Yooper is the man, she really isn't.

13.) That HBT is held in Reverence in more way than one.

14.) Evan doesn't actually have a mullet (or does he).

15.) Pirates are better endowed than Gnomes.

16.) That there are rules about what can and cannot be talked about.

17.) That you can't hotlink images.

18.) User thread counts may have something relating to the inverse of IQ obver the gravity of content but have nothing to do with a persons brewlege. That is, brew knowledge.

19.) I can get Fifi nixed and stuffed for a bargain price starting around $15. And take solace that it was done quickly and that the renderer of said service will take great pleasure in doing it.

20.) A bunch of stuff about brewing and beer in general that I prolly coulda' read in a book or two but was pricelessly entertaining to read here regardless.

21.) That support is priceless, and users can donate at their discretion to facilitate such a thing. (Applies to both Premium and LIFETIME memberships) ;)

[edit] 22.) That thread jacking is the HBT way and is covered as one of the rules of the thing that I, or anyone else, am not talking about.

[edit, edit] 23. Some Gnomes are too familiar with the anotomy of some Pirates.

Before the thread goes tragically downhill and the OP runs and hides in a corner, I'll drop a nugget as well.

--

Temperature is one of the most important factors to insuring your beer turns out great. You don't control fermentation temp, who knows what you'll get.

--

Now return you to your regular Friday silliness. Drag it downhill, Gnome.

Temperature is one of the most important factors to insuring your beer turns out great. You don't control fermentation temp, who knows what you'll get.

+1...seriously, my beers got noticeably better when I started controlling fermentation temps. Another thing I've learned is that threads can go off topic very rapidly if allowed...

wait a minute, Blue Monday (check), Red Thursday (check), Serious Friday..... Ahhhh..wait no.

Okay I'll tone it down.

- A starter with dry yeast is actually more detrimental than good

Thats it! I knew all else before I got here.

I have learned that I have so much more to learn about brewing. This is a great site with insight and info that is immeasurable. As long as you sanitize correctly it is really hard to screw up a batch of homebrew. My first AG is a true testament to that!!!

I have learned that I'm not alone in my addiction to brewing and drinking!

I learned that if you can't be brewing all the time it's great to hang out with beer brewing brothers and sisters that like to talk about brewing.

I learned that Gnomes are funny and strange.

i learned that some instructions are printed on labels and i don't need to start a post for every question i have. or do i??

Back