High Alcohol Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubble-n-Foam

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing, I'm 21, and still in school... so with that being said... I want to brew a high alcohol beer that doesn't cost a lot, will get me drunk, and still taste great.
'
I don't have the equippment or the cool temps to brew a lager, so it's going to have to be an ale.

I'm trying to get a recipe that will brew a beer with alchol content of around 8%-9%.

I'd rather it not be a black beer either. I like dark beers, but not dark black.

Any suggestions?

Barleywine is probably your best bet. Or an imperial IPA (or sometimes called a double IPA). The problem is that high alcohol beers take a long time to mature so you can't really expect to be drinking them for about a year.

Bubble-n-Foam said:
I...I want to brew a high alcohol beer that doesn't cost a lot, will get me drunk, and still taste great.

You forgot that you want it done in 1 week.

You're in the wrong forum.

You need to find a hooch-making site.

You may be in a better situation to make Edworts Apfelwein if you are looking for a higher ABV beverage to make for very cheap. You can find an entire thread dedicated to the subject in the wine making forum.

Beer equipment can get expensive on a tight budget. Just my 2 cents.

+1 on the cider. quick, very little equipment (which of course would provide a starting point for making beers), and will get you pished.

1 barrel
1 airlock
1 packet of cleaning stuff
1 big spoon

Nice to have :
hydrometer
bottle wand
benchcapper

mr_stimey said:
You may be in a better situation to make Edworts Apfelwein if you are looking for a higher ABV beverage to make for very cheap.

True, but he will graduate before it is drinkable. :cross:

Bubble-n-Foam said:
I'm new to brewing, I'm 21, and still in school... so with that being said... I want to brew a high alcohol beer that doesn't cost a lot, will get me drunk, and still taste great.

You have to realize that you've come to a site with a bunch of people dedicated to making the finest quality ales and lagers possible and you're asking us how to make cheap chug-a-lug plonk. You're not going to win too many people over with that.

If you're serious about brewing your own, you should concentrate on what we call 'session' beers. They're lower alcohol but they finish quickly and taste good and they're cheap to make. Get yourself a good sturdy funnel and a length of tubing and you'll be in business.

EdWort said:
True, but he will graduate before it is drinkable. :cross:

Haha, that may be true now that I think about it, well I guess I was just too quick to doubt his honesty!

If you want a cheap drunk, I recommend buying whatever's on sale instead of making your own beer. You could ferment table sugar with bread yeast really cheap, but while it would be alcoholic it wouldn't be worth drinking (unless you're in prison).

Without spending a bit of time and hassle (not free), you can't make beer. You *can* make beer for less than buying it as long as you sink a bunch of money into bulk grain purchases, equipment, yeast culturing stuff, etc. I'm not sure what the break-even point in batches is, but there are probably very few here who have reached it...although we all aspire to such greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back