brew belt for tripel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger_M

Reaction score
Im doing a brewers best belgian tripel kit. Checked the temp this morning and its sitting at 67 deg. On the box it had a sticker recomending a belt. Im within the range stated by both the kit and the yeast. Do i have anything to gain by getting it to the upper end of the range?

Some yeasts produce different flavors at different ends of their temp ranges. What yeast is in the kit? Other than that, cooler usually means slower and hotter usually means faster fermentation, though that usually comes at a price of potential off-flavors.

I would NOT warm that one up like you would a Belgian yeast. Keep it cool. It's not going to give you much character though.

Should I have used a different yeast to help with the finished taste?

I would recommend white labs I think it's WLB500 it's a trappist ale yeast, when you ferment at 70-75F (which most trappist brews are fermented at 75F) it produces more fruity esters which give Belgian trappist beers their iconic aroma this yeast produces more earthy, bready aromas if it ferments at the lower end of it's temperature range.

Back