Oktoberfest formulation: Ale yeast vs Lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So I am looking in making an Oktoberfest beer, and I have been doing some reading into the different recipes. I found one that Yooper had shared, and it looked good.

My question is more pertaining to the yeast. I have looked up the difference between the lager yeast and the ale yeast, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 2, particularly in regards to authentic Marzen/Oktoberfest beer.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the difference in taste attributed to using an ale vs lager yeast.

Lager yeast tends to be cleaner, but they require lower temps to ferment correctly. An octoberfest is technically a lager and you should therefore use lager yeast. However there is a good octoberfest like ale recipe on this site.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/biermunchers-oktoberfast-ale-ag-39021/

Yeah, I saw that recipe but it is like the Sam Adam's Oktoberfest, and that is nothing like an authentic Oktoberfest from the Oktoberfest. I was going more with a Marzen/Oktoberfest style.

http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_304.htm

I know that that is really close to an authentic Oktoberfest I've had. Additionally the one Yooper posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/marzen-oktoberfest-37476/

I was just debating switching the lager yeast out for an ale yeast. I think I might turn this into an experiment, 5 gallons lager, 5 gallons ale

wfowlks said:
Yeah, I saw that recipe but it is like the Sam Adam's Oktoberfest, and that is nothing like an authentic Oktoberfest from the Oktoberfest. I was going more with a Marzen/Oktoberfest style.

http://www.beersmith.com/Recipes2/recipe_304.htm

I know that that is really close to an authentic Oktoberfest I've had. Additionally the one Yooper posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f59/marzen-oktoberfest-37476/

I was just debating switching the lager yeast out for an ale yeast. I think I might turn this into an experiment, 5 gallons lager, 5 gallons ale

Hmm didn't realize that. I was going to do the Oktoberfast recipe, but now I think I will do Yoopers, but toss in WLP011 or Wyeast 1338....

Hmm didn't realize that. I was going to do the Oktoberfast recipe, but now I think I will do Yoopers, but toss in WLP011 or Wyeast 1338....

Yeah, I didn't either, for the last 5 years I had thought that Sam Adams Oktoberfest was the real deal, only to go to the Disney World Epcot food and wine festival, to get the Oktoberfest imported from Munich, and have it be very different from the Sam Adam's version. Conveniently they have people from the country working at the beer stand, and I asked them, which was more like the authentic Oktoberfest, and they told me Sam Adams was nothing close. I'm excited to try out Yoopers or the Wedding March version.

I think I might also scout some recipes on Google.de (Deutschland aka germany)

Google.de paid off I found this recipe:

Oktober Festbier
Durch TheBeerOrg

Bringen München ein wenig näher zu Hause.
8 # Weyermann Pils
2 # Weyermann dunkle Münchner Malz
8 Unzen Cara-München
8 Unzen Cara-Vienne
2 Unzen Hallertau
Wyeast 2308

1. Machen Sie einen Hefe-Starter!
2. Strike mit 140F Wasser, 20 Minuten ruhen.
3. Decoct 8QT Dickmaische, 10 Minuten kochen, zurückzukehren.
4. Fügen Sie genug Wasser 170F bis 154f, Rest für 25min zu erreichen.
6. Rezirkulieren Würze, bis klar und sparge mit genügend Wasser 6,5 Gallonen von Würze zu sammeln.
7. Fügen Sie 1 Unze Hopfen, kochen für 60 Minuten.
8. Fügen Sie 1 Unze Hopfen, für 30 Minuten kochen lassen.
9. Kühlen Sie bis 70F und Pitch Hefe.
10. Ferment bei 50-54F für 2 Wochen, bei Lagerbier 40F für 2 Wochen (Minimum).

Now I'll use my German to translate it:

Oktober Festbier

Ingredients:
8 lbs Pilsner malt
2 lbs Munich Malt
8 oz Caramunich Malt
8 oz Caravienne Malt
2 oz Hallertau Hops
Wyeast 2308

Process:
1. Make a yeast starter.
2. Strike with 140 F water, 20 min rest.
3. Decoct 8 quarts for 10 min then return.
4. Add some water at 170 F, to bring up to 154 F. Rest for 25 min.
5. Recirculate the wort, and sparge so there is enough water to collect 6.5 gallons.
6. Bring to a boil.
7. Add 1 oz Hallertau @ 60 min
8. Add 1 oz Hallertau @ 30 min
9. Cool to 70 F and pitch yeast
10. Ferment at 50-54 for 2 weeks. Lager at 40 F for at least 2 weeks.

Looks like a fine recipe. I would think you would want to do a D-rest if your going to pitch your yeast at 70. I love a good Oktoberfest. While I do like the Sam Adams Oktoberfest, once you taste a good true German Oktober, its really hard to go back.

So I am looking in making an Oktoberfest beer, and I have been doing some reading into the different recipes. I found one that Yooper had shared, and it looked good.

My question is more pertaining to the yeast. I have looked up the difference between the lager yeast and the ale yeast, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 2, particularly in regards to authentic Marzen/Oktoberfest beer.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the difference in taste attributed to using an ale vs lager yeast.

In answer to your Q about taste difference with ale vs. lager yeast, My 1st batch last year was the 'Truebrew Oktoberfest' which came with Munton's dry ale yeast. Turned out pretty good, especially since it was my 1st brew. Later in the year I did the same kit with lager yeast (S-23) and took my time (3 weeks primary, 1 month lagering). Much better- more of that nice malty flavor came through. This winter I stepped it a little further- partial mash with 3 lb Munich, 2lb Vienna, 1 lb wheat, and NB Munich LME. Plus Wyeast Oktoberfest blend yeast. And omg what a difference- wonderful.
So,IMO the lagering process is longer and sometimes a pain regulating temp. but it's worth it.

Ok,I'd like to throw in one that I found while researching yeasts for my "hopped & confused" ale that thinks it's a light lager. I finally settled on white labs ale/kolsch yeast,WL029. Here's the link for the curious; http://www.midwestsupplies.com/white-labs-german-ale-kolsch-wl029-bundle.html
I'm also gunna use it in a dark lager recipe next week as well. Supposed to make a clean,lager-like ale. And at 65-69F no less. I just gotta try a couple batches with this one! gunna dig up some old canning stuff to wash it as well.

Back