Pressure controlled fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzfest05

Reaction score
Wondering if there are any good fermenters , even smaller 2-3 gals for pressurized fermentation.

Currently I have a stainless keg waiting for me from a friend, the plan being to drill a quarter inch hole on top and braze in a pressure gauge with 1/4 copper pipe for monitoring pressure.

Drill another top hole for low pressure relief valve, thinking to set at 15 psi ? What this will do is once pressure builds up in the fermenter if it hits the set limit then it will vent gas until under set limit.

Lastly I will install a ball valve drain about 2" above bottom, rubber gaskets for additional seal and debating on stainless braid removable filter for sediment , trub, hops debree.

Gauges and relief valve plus the ball valve drain and the money for the keg ( think keg was 20) gets a bit pricey.

Is there a premade perhaps plastic solution? I know the keg pressure fermentation would be bad ass, but maybe I can save a few bucks.

Thanks .

With corny kegs being as cheap as they are, it's hard to imagine even a plastic solution that costs less. You've seen the pressurized fermentation thread, yeah?

MalFet said:
With corny kegs being as cheap as they are, it's hard to imagine even a plastic solution that costs less. You've seen the pressurized fermentation thread, yeah?

You mind posting that thread?

Happy Brewing

No didnt check it out yet, im experienced in HVAC however , I would rather build my own as I described above as it would be awesome and easy to use with the drain valve and readout installed, however, I dont have uber amount of space which this keg will take up. Fortunetely this will take away my need for secondary, straight for pressure fermenter to bottle.

Before you go modding a keg I would read through that thread. It makes no sence to hack into a keg when the perfered way is not to do that. Worst case you hate CPF and still have a useable keg, but if you mod it that may not be true.

I do the CPF inside sanke kegs and love the way it works. FWIW you will want a scale because you will not be able to see when the keg is full unless you do not intend to fill the keg (putting 5 gallons of beer in a 7.25 gallon keg)

The keg I got is actually a 53L stainless , it's not one I would reuse for anything but a fermenter or brew pot.

I wouldn't be hacking apart this keg. Two perfectly drilled and air tight 1/4" holes. Brazing would be done and with purged nitrogen and I would clean the brazed joints just like new. The drain valve is just for convenience, that hole would be 3/4-1".

Removable filter on drain valve would be in case I dry hop, but there's nothing to not like about pressurized fermentation.

Less esters and better tasting beers.

Back