Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid we drank some stuff called Orbit. If I remember right it was like 39 cents a 6-pack. Nasty!

Not sure what company made it, but it was a white can with the word "BEER" stenciled in black on it. I got some nasty hangovers from this stuff in my late teens.

Yes! That was my pick, im glad someone agreed. What's funny is, I waited 15 minutes for the beer guy at Trader Joes to dig in the backroom for it, after he told me it was the best beer he'd ever had. He proudly emerged with it, I took it home, opened a bottle. Took one sip... *no*. Let the wife try it.... "just dump it out" she told me. I've used one bottle in a batch of beer bread so far, but I think the other 4 are sink-bound. I wouldn't even drink this stuff if I was in jail. Pruno is way better ;)

That is a funny story.
But, I made a mistake. I guess the beer I was referring to was kellerweis by sierra nevada. We drank both that night and I was confused the next day.

DarkPhyre said:
That is a funny story.
But, I made a mistake. I guess the beer I was referring to was kellerweis by sierra nevada. We drank both that night and I was confused the next day.

I had some smithwicks and thought it had an off-taste, soapyish-medicinal note. If we were voting for the worst craft/import/micro beer it just might get my vote. That, or one of those awful import pilsners like heineken, estrella damm, or stella that have that medicinal skunkyish flavor.

Edited to say: still, steel reserve is just undrinkable. It's funny to me how spoiled many are to vote for things like leinenkugel, victory, or even smithwhicks, when there are such god-awful beverages as steel reserve and nattie that are hardly potable let alone recognizable as beer.

Mine had to have been Chloe, one of the named Newport Storm brews. It was a while ago at a party... it was supposed to be a double IPA. Really it was just so bitter I wasn't able to taste any other beer that night... it also made me physically sick.

Perhaps I wasn't used to the double IPA style, but based on the mixed BA reviews, I don't think I was wrong to hate it.

Lost said:
Edited to say: still, steel reserve is just undrinkable. It's funny to me how spoiled many are to vote for things like leinenkugel, victory, or even smithwhicks, when there are such god-awful beverages as steel reserve and nattie that are hardly potable let alone recognizable as beer.

Its because its for the worst beer we've every "had", and many of us are wise enough to not "have" steely reserve. But I do have a vague dream of someone pouring sweet nail polish remover down my throat... ;)

Okay, new low for me yesterday:
http://www.samueladams.com/enjoy-our-beer/beer-detail.aspx?id=40f052d8-81f6-4a7b-9a38-6806c0eeebff

Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA.

The "fruity pebbles" flavor that everyone complains about from Sunset Wheat and Berry Weiss I got in spades from 48. It was the most non-IPA IPA I've ever had. I took one drink and instantly spit it out. Thank god it was my SWMBO that got it and not me.

I don't know if it was dirty tap lines or what, but that was straight up nasty.

On the plus side, the mini-golf place by my apartment serves beer. At least they had Sierra Nevada pale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost

Bad beer is bad beer. It doesn't matter who makes it. I have never had a beer as bad as Leinenkul Sunset Wheat. Never.

When I was in college in about 1978 my friends and I bought a 12 pack of something called Buckthorne for about $1.50. It was so bad that we had to shotgun it to get it down. (and we did. Ha!) I would buy that before I would buy Leinenkugal Sunset Wheat.

It's not about being spoiled. It is about not liking a crappy beer.

RedHook Eisbock I have to add to this list. Just terrible. Myself and the drunks at the bar I was working could not finish free pints of it.

Probably why they were free? haha. I just thought of a rather amusing episode regarding this. About 2 months ago my wife & I strolled into the beer cooler at Giant Eagle,& came upon HB "original" in bottles from Munchen. Cool we thought! WROOONG! We got home,& that evening broke out 2 bottles & some beer glasses. Gak! Talk about skunk wizz. We even let our boys smell it so they'd know what we mean when referring to a beer as "skunked". I spent 9 bucks on that 6'r too. She then pipes in,looking at me,"note to self...don't buy imported beer in GREEN BOTTLES!" point taken fer sher...:drunk:

Yeah, I was dumb enough to grab a 6 pack of Hofbrau Octoberfest after having some on tap. The other festbier I grabbed in green bottles (Paulaner?) was fine, but the Hofbrau seemed to have gone tanning and turned totally skunk.

...came upon HB "original" in bottles from Munchen. Cool we thought! WROOONG! We got home,& that evening broke out 2 bottles & some beer glasses. Gak! Talk about skunk wizz.

Exact same experience with that brew. Although I bought a single bottle in a mix-and-match sixer so the loss was minimal. I've heard good reviews of that beer, so I'm gonna have to try it on tap before I make a judgment call.

Imper ale - Nero. It's italian, its filthy. It's supposed to be a stout but the head dissipates as if it were a Sprite and the whole damn thing smells and tastes like stout mixed with champagne. Horrible. Even worse, they wanted to charge $18/bottle for it. I picked it up for $5 out of a clearance bin and it wasn't even worth that. glad i learned a lesson

Steel Reserve is indeed nasty stuff. I bought a 4 pack of it while I was living in downtown Madison. Memories of vomiting loudly are all I can process right now.

Hamm's was another bad one. Had that for 50 cents a can at some bar in River Falls. That was a black out night.

Have to agree with the hamms. Bought it because it was 8.29 a case. Didn't taste too bad (Before I knew better). Could not figure out for a few months what was causing my indigestion. Have not had any since.

Rhinelander is probably the worst tasting I have had...

sam adams cherry wheat = worse than mike's hard lemonade

I enjoy every other Sam Adams product for the most part, but cherry wheat is unspeakably bad.

Cannot be worse than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat - I swear if that stuff cost $0.09 cents for a 6 pack I would not get it

Unibrow said:
Cannot be worse than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat - I swear if that stuff cost $0.09 cents for a 6 pack I would not get it

If I can find a single of it ill buy it... it has appeared on here two fold more than any other beer.

bottlebomber said:
If I can find a single of it ill buy it... it has appeared on here two fold more than any other beer.

Expect it to taste like somebody took a perfectly good beer and dumped cough medicine into it. Never again.

nofootbreak said:
Thats kind of how the Sam Adams American Kriek tasted as well... Pretty bad beer.

That's basically how I feel about Lindeman's Kriek... as much as people rave about it (my wife loves it) the cherry flavor is so incredibly powerful it tastes like drinking cherry Starbursts.

LOL... it must be a homebrewers thing. I had some SA cherry wheat and hated it so much i had to give everyone a taste and they all liked it.

bottlebomber said:
That's basically how I feel about Lindeman's Kriek... as much as people rave about it (my wife loves it) the cherry flavor is so incredibly powerful it tastes like drinking cherry Starbursts.

Oh god, me too. Ace likes the stuff, but to me it tastes like the syrup used to make cherry soda.

Mort Subite Kriek is backsweetened too, but actually pretty enjoyable.

I tried a blueberry beer from Maine. Wild Blue I think it was called. Repulsive, miserable beer. It was the color of grape juice to boot.

SA Cherry Wheat comes in a close second, with Dundee Honey Brown rounding out the top three.

Worst beer eh? Leinenkugel. I dont even consider it beer, more of a Malt Drink. Its more like a budwieser (which is #2 on the list) with terrible added flavors.

SA Cherry wheat is a mess. Even non-homebrewers think it tastes like cough syrup.

Lindeman's is more like champagne than beer. Smells like beer, tastes like champagne. I like it, though. :)

emjay said:
Oh god, me too. Ace likes the stuff, but to me it tastes like the syrup used to make cherry soda.

Mort Subite Kriek is backsweetened too, but actually pretty enjoyable.

Ill have to keep an eye out for that one. On the Lindeman's bottle it claims "a secondary fermentation with cherries" is responsible for the overpowering cherry flavor. Kind of doubt that. Ace probably likes all sorts of silly beverages.

Sam Adams cranberry lambic, I can't bring myself to even taste a beer with fruit in it ever since I choked one of those down about 15 years ago.
2nd and third both go to Magic Hat #9, and single chair.
I'd be happy to have a Schaefer instead of any of these.

So many bad beers, Buckhorn, Texas Pride, Beer, Billy Beer, Meisterbrau, Strohs plus so many more bottom enders. Most seasonals are also pretty awful.

The latest which couldn't be finished and had to be dumped, unlike the dogs above, Rahr the one that donated to the endangered toad, La Fin Du Mounde (sp) and Rougue Imperial Red Ale. And the biggest drain cleaner for me is any IPA.

So many bad beers, Buckhorn, Texas Pride, Beer, Billy Beer, Meisterbrau, Strohs plus so many more bottom enders. Most seasonals are also pretty awful.

The latest which couldn't be finished and had to be dumped, unlike the dogs above, Rahr the one that donated to the endangered toad, La Fin Du Mounde (sp) and Rougue Imperial Red Ale. And the biggest drain cleaner for me is any IPA.

Whaaaaaat ???

I'd have to say keystone light. I drank a lot of that in college because it was free. Talk about wet cardboard. Haven't had any since.

ksb63 said:

Let me guess, your favorite beers are Amber Ale and Pale Ale. Am I right?

No actually like trippels, dubbels, porters, stouts, sours, hefe's ect. For some reason can't stand IPA's they smell like cat nip/mint and just taste off to me. Like an overly peated scotch.

Think I found a new worst, but it's probably because I'm not a fan of the style - Sam Adams Bonfire Rauchbier. Nastiest stuff ever. I think they have the bonfire thing down. Guess I just don't like drinking liquid smoke.

Not sure if this beer has already been mentioned (pretty long thread)

Walgreens started selling its own beer this past year

I thought it was a joke at first, novelty or something. $2.99 a six pack

bigflats.jpg

Back