Subsitute stout yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
I'm planning on an extract and steeping grains sweet stout, so I went to a not so local HBS and bought pretty much one of every dry yeast they had.

I have Nottingham, Safbrew S33, Muntons, Muntons Gold, Safale US05, Safale S04, Coopers & Windsor.

However, none of these is the Irish ale yeast called for in the recipes. Will any of the above work? Or should just pitch some Coopers and call it a Porter? Or a very, very brown ale?

The recipe is 8 oz of Crystal 40L steeping, plus .25 lb each of chocolate & roasted barley, 1.5 oz. Kent Goldings 60 minutes, 1/2 oz. Kent Goldings 20 minutes, 1tsp gypsum and 2 lbs. of the dark LME at the start of the boil and the remaining 6 lbs. at 15 minutes. .5 oz Williamette as dry hop in the secondary

... fits nicely into a sweet stout profile:

OG: 1.056, FG: 1014, IBU 38, SRM: 50, AVB: 5.4

TIA

Just about any of those would work, but I'd do with the Nottingham. It won't be like the Irish though. Maybe the S04 would get you closest.

I'd agree...the S04 would prolly be the best but any of the ones you mentioned would make a great stout.

If you want a sweet stout though, pick one from the descriptions that doesn't attenuate as well as the others. Nottingham will make it drier for sure--not exactly sure about the others.

but unfortunately, I didn't see any of them until after this batch was in the primary. Closed my eyes and picked the Nottingham, so I guess its a RDWHAHB situation.

If its on the dry side, thats fine.

vtchuck said:
but unfortunately, I didn't see any of them until after this batch was in the primary. Closed my eyes and picked the Nottingham...

Hmmm....Kids these days. Ya try to give em the best advice and what do they do???? Do they listen??? ;)

Nottinham will be fine, but I used the So4 for my stouts and porters before I discovered liquids....

The Nottingham will be fine. You have to realize that the main difference between a stout and a porter is in the grain bill, not the yeast. I think you'll be really happy with your stout. If you really want to test it out, make the same beer again with one of the other yeasts. Then do it again with another, then another, then another... and so on. You'll find the one that you prefer and then you've got your recipe down (at least yeast-wise).

I used nottingham on my first stout, turned out great. I didn't know about liquid yeast at the time either. i would use WLP004 on your next one. I just used it on my badcow stout in my sig, tastes amazing.

Back